1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this work when connecting 3 adjacent HR2Xs...?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Lord Vader, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I don't have DECA, so let's get that out of the way.

I have two HR20-700s and an HR22-100 on the same shelf sitting next to each other.

I'm reconfiguring my current setup to not use the Netgear powerline adapter connections with these--too unreliable and spotty--and was just wondering which would be the best way to connect these to my Internet router in an adjoining room.

Do I take three long ethernet cables, which I have, and connect each one directly to my router via a D-Link multi-port unit I have in use already, or can I connect one receiver this way but the other two using the secondary ethernet port on the back side? If this method is possible, would I potentially be vulnerable to the same spotty MRV reliability that powerline adapters cause? If so, I can just go the direct connection route.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    STAY AWAY from using a DVR's second port. Use the three cables or move/install a switch and then use one cable back to your router.
    The second port simply isn't a good idea [and this is from someone who's tried it].

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    OK, thanks. I guess that answers that question, doesn't it?

And BTW, thanks for the tip to install a switch and use one long cable from that. Dumb ass me was looking at putting the switch in the other room and running three long cables when relocating the switch sounds MUCH better--and MUCH easier to connect. :)

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    When you get all of that done and it still doesn't work then go the DECA Route and don't look back.

Mine worked okay but occasionally I had problems and now with DECA I have eliminated all of those problems.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. Switch is the way to go. I have one in my TV stand for my Broadband DECA, PS3, and TV. I then have one cable going back to the router.

Now since my ethernet drop from the modem is behind the TV stand, I need to switch the router and switch around so that the cable comes right to the TV stand and then to the computer desk. But, that's another issue...

- Merg

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Agreed, my switch feeds 3 DVR's, my AVR, and a Blu Ray player, with one line going back to my router. Works great.

7. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That's the way I connected it. I'll see later how it runs. I'm trying to eliminate what was some horrible buffering.

8. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    As FYI....go with static IPs on all your DVRs and any other networked items. There is tons of comments on threads about this of DHCP vs. Static IP but if you are OK with router and setting static IPs it seems to add more reliability.

I personally have all my HRS23s with static IPs, my Network Printer, my BluRay player also. I let the router us its DHCP address range from the router to allow connections for PCs.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    For more information on static IP addresses and Whole Home setup, check out this thread...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=185713

- Merg