1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this work

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jjeeffff, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jjeeffff

jjeeffff Mentor

Jul 22, 2008
    I would like to share 1 hd dvr with 2 hd tv's. I am wanting to connect the receiver to the main tv using component cables and then run a 50 foot hdmi cable for the tv in the bedroom. The 2 tv's will never need seperate programming. Any suggestions? Will this idea work? Thanks in advance!

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, it will work.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes it will work, but be advised;

The HDCP encryption protecting the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc., if you subscribe to any of them) may bite you here. If the TV connected to the HDMI port in the bedroom is not HDCP compatible or when the set is turned off, the component, S-video, and composite outputs will black out and display the dreaded HDCP error message.

4. jjeeffff

jjeeffff Mentor

Jul 22, 2008
    Thanks for the replies I do not sub to any premiums so I should be good to go. BTW will 50 foot be too long of a run for HDMI?

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Depends.

I have had one shorter run not work. The HDMI device was the infamous Panasonic Blu-ray VCR combo (IANMTU), and I ran what I thought was a midlevel HDMI cable 40 feet and had macroblocking and interrupted sound. Shorter (and bargain basement cheap) HDMI cables worked fine, had no premium quality HDMI in the long length to try. Customer allowed a different arrangement of the equipment so we wound up OK.

Only ever had this problem the one time. I've had 40 foot lengths from D* and E* boxes to TV work just fine, and that with the bargain basement cables.

Best of luck with this, let us know how it goes.

6. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    One of my HDMI cables is 60 feet long (actually 2 - 30 cables with a connector in the middle. Make sure you get an HDMI cable that is either 22 or 24 AGW wire. The 26 and 28 AGW won't allow you to go that far. I used cables from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024005&p_id=2110&seq=1&format=2

7. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    I have a similar setup, except I'm using a 30' hdmi cable. I kept getting the dreaded HDCP error message on my non-HDMI outputs. Adding a 2-way hdmi splitter (I'm only using 1 of the 2 outputs) like the one below will keep away the HDCP errors.

2-way HDMI splitter

:)

8. Mar 2, 2013 #8 of 10
    PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Even better is to use one of the new "redmere" type cables, also from Monoprice. These have a special chip inside the connector the conditions the signal for longer runs. I have one at 75 feet and it works great.

The one caveat is that these cables are directional, i.e. the two ends are NOT interchangeable, so make sure the "source" end is at the DVR output or the AVR output.

Keith

9. Mar 2, 2013 #9 of 10
    orijonl

orijonl New Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Monoprice also has some of the wireless hdmi adapters.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    What a killer tip. Thanks PJ.