1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Washington DC HD locals be moving with SD locals?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by sbell1, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbell1

sbell1 New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    I see that the Washington DC locals will be moving off of 61.5. Will the HD locals remain on 61.5? I am upgrading to 622 and HD on 3/28 and was going to have wing dish added to my Dish 500 for my HD channels including local HD. Even though CSR told me I can get HD only on 129 and has me down to get a Dish 1000. I had to tell him DC HD locals were on 61.5 so he added a wing dish to my order. I live in the mountains of WV, cannot receive OTA locals and doubt I can pick up 129. I just need my current Dish 500 and wing dish at 61.5 to get all HD programming, correct? Sorry this has just turned into two questions.

Thanks

2. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    There is another thread on Friday's retailer chat that says that the DC HD locals will be at 61.5

3. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    reg locals are moving to 110 to meet the regulation that locals have be visible from a single dish. So once E10 is operating, our locals will move there. HD locals will be on 61.5 at least for now. Maybe they'll move to 110 also, but that is only rumor and conjecture at this point :)

4. vinobabu

vinobabu Mentor

Mar 13, 2006
    Maybe this is a stupid question..but if I have Dish 1000 can I receive programming from both 110 & 61.5?

I have a new installation scheduled this coming saturday and wanted to make sure I get most of HD (including locals) with one dish.

Thanks
    Vino

5. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002

it is not stupid but the DISH 1000 cannot see 61.5. According to the other thread there was an announcement about DC HD locals being on 61.5. like everything it could change tomorrow.

6. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    DC installs should be a 500 for 110/119 and a 300 or 500 for 61.5. you should not get a 1000 in DC (though for some it will work). If you want HD locals, you have to get the 61.5 dish :)

7. Fifty Caliber

Fifty Caliber Banned User

Jan 4, 2006
    And all of this assumes that they don't completely change their mind and mirror the locals at 110 onto 61.5. They could do this and still comply with one-dish rule, AFAIK there is no prohibition against mirrorring channels in the one-dish rule. Not saying that this idea is prefferred, likely, or in any way under consideration at the moment, because I don't know, but it is an option.

8. vinobabu

vinobabu Mentor

Mar 13, 2006
    I just got off the phone with a E* sales rep. He told me that Dish 1000 with Vip211 receiver can receive programs from satellite 110,119 and 129. Also DC local HD is trasmitting from 129... so I will be able to get local HD without a second dish pointing to 61.5

Can someone confirm this please

Thanks
    Vino

9. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    um, Dish wouldn't have HD locals on 2 sats, so that person is likely a dolt :) our HD locals are on 61.5. I bet the csr doesn't know the difference in Washington state (seattle) and Washington DC :)

10. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002

I believe that they were originally announced to be at 129. But CSRs are often not informed of changes. As for mirroring locals that sounds like an inefficient use of bandwidth.

11. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    I could understand a possible confusion if Dish initially expected DC HD to be on 129, then looked at their own coverage map and realized about 20-30% of the area is outside the 129 coverage :) And what's worse, that area is also the more rural area likely to have more sat users

12. vinobabu

vinobabu Mentor

Mar 13, 2006
    This is the email reply I got from the Sales rep.

"Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your email. The local channels in HD are both located at 129 and 61.5 satellite locations. A dish 100 is capable of receiving three satellite locations however it is unable to pick up satellite 61.5.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Christina C.

DISH Network eCare"

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Don't all the locals (SD & HD) have to be on a single dish? To me this suggests that they've either all got to be on 61.5 or they've all got to be spread amongst the Dish1000 birds. Mirroring is not a valid solution.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    All of a market's SD must be on the same dish.
    All of a market's HD must be on the same dish.
    A market's SD and HD do not have to be on the same dish together.
    Also locals do not have to be on a satellite with other programming.

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is not the way I read it.
    By extension of all digitals having to be on the same dish.
    Until February 2009, I presume.

From my reading, there is a more logical division:

1. All carried analog stations must be available to a single dish
    2. All carried digital stations must be available to a single dish (not necessarily the analog dish).

The act seems to lump digital SD and HD together as DTV services as opposed to segregating them.

If you're using SD to represent all analog and HD to represent all digital, I say shame on you.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    OK, shame on me for a shortcut.

Since most of the ATSC Digital channels that E* carries are HD I referred to them as HD.

But as you may be noting ... there are a few ATSC Digital subchannels channels that are SD and are carried on E* (one of them is in my market). If E* were to introduce HD locals to one of those markets (including mine) there would be a question whether the 'subchannel' (which isn't the main feed on the ATSC channel) would need to be with the HD channels carried.

Of course E* is on a major push to only carry the MAIN channel of an ATSC feed (the HD) and do not see carrying subchannels as a requirement --- so any they do carry are 'extra' and outside the rules anyways.

But I suppose there has to be "the next thing" that the FCC/Congress goes after E* for on locals. :D

17. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    Dish 100??? That would be my first clue that the Sales Rep was clueless :lol:

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This whole "must carry" thing is a real stinker. In my market, the WB station has four subchannels. Very few of the subchannels could argue any kind of viewership (not to suggest that their content isn't worthwhile). I think they're leasing out a couple of the subchannels just to force distribution on cable (and perhaps satellite).

I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be forced to carry an obvious placeholder like the NBC Weather subchannel. What about public access channels (my market has three)? Then there is the issue of significantly viewed...

Combine all of this with the signal availability proceedings and we see how much the FCC tinkers with the free market.

19. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    JL what digital subchannels are they carrying and why?

20. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    I still doubt they put HD locals on both, but maybe it's temporary. anyone here in DC with a 1000 getting HD locals from 129?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.