Will wireless Joeys work with my non-HDMI TVs?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by xmastoo, Sep 18, 2019.

1. xmastoo

xmastoo New Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Hi folks. I'm a new member who is extremely non-techie. I'm considering switching from Directv to Dish. Current Directv system feeds the same Standard Definition TV signal to my multiple TVs via coax. Would like to upgrade to the Hopper 3 with wireless Joeys (for portability), but I'm wondering if I can use wireless Joeys with my perfectly good old 4:3 aspect TVs that have the red, white and yellow ports. Can the wireless Joeys function properly with these older TVs? Would I need special equipment of any kind? I only have one Smart TV capable of receiving an HD signal. Thanks!

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    All Dish receivers do have the composite video / analog audio outputs just for cases like you're describing. This includes the Hoppers and Joeys. Only the Hoppers will have the Component video outputs.

xmastoo likes this.
  3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    One thing I forgot to mention ( but won't affect about 99.999% of people) - the Hoppers and Joeys do NOT come with built in RF modulators.

4. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I know for sure that the MoCA Network (wired) Joeys has component outputs for SDTV's. Not sure about the wireless but they might have them.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    That (Yellow, red and white) is NOT component - it is COMPOSITE video w/ analog audio. It used to be called component, but component nowadays is Y Pr Pb video, with red and white analog audio. The Hoppers and Joeys also have a TOSLink digital optical audio output that can output PCM and DD5.1.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    The composite output can be converted to a modulated RF 75 ohm output with low cost adapters available from Amazon, Walmart, etc., for those older TV's that don't have composite inputs.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Eh - you get what you pay for on the cheap stuff. Pay out for the good ones that transmit UHF.

n0qcu and NYDutch like this.