1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you pay for EHD activation? If not, why? (Take III)

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Ron Barry, Sep 6, 2007.

Will you pay for EHD activation? If not, why?

1. No - I simply don't need it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - I don't want my archive tied to Dish

17 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. No - I will add an EHD only if there is no fee

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. No - but I would for $9.99

56 vote(s)
    48.3%
  5. No - but I would for $19.99

26 vote(s)
    22.4%
  6. No - but I would for $29.99

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. Yes - I paid or will pay $39.99

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 6, 2007 #1 of 45
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    (Inspired by discusson in the now closed $39.99 External HD Activation Fee - Just say 'no' thread.)

Will you, or have you already, pay to activate an external hard drive?

If you have said "no" to the EHD fee, why and what would change your mind?

This poll is open to everyone, and includes options suggested in the previous poll which was targeted only at those who said No.

Moderator Note: This thread was cloned from a thread BobaBird created so a poll can be added.

2. Sep 6, 2007 #2 of 45
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Paid it and have 1 drive and 2/3rds of another 320 gig drive full...

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 45
    dld542004

dld542004 Cool Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Paid it and very happy with it!

4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 45
    SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    Why pay another fee?
    I already get popped for the DVR fee on 2 625s, 1 510 and my 622.

Fee fee fee fee. Feel like I'm dealing with a bank sometimes.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #5 of 45
    jrb531

jrb531 Icon

May 28, 2004
    No and at the risk of inciting a riot I'll keep my reasons to myself :)

-JB

6. Sep 7, 2007 #6 of 45
    dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    At 19.99 (or lower), I wouldn't hesitate. I may still pay 39.99 in the future if I find that my viewing can't keep up with the internal drive filling up. Most of our timers now are HD programs (except for the movies we record from TCM) so this may happen.

7. Sep 7, 2007 #7 of 45
    moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    $19.99 seems fair. $29.99 maybe. $39.99 just seems steep. Plus I doubt I'll need to tie up the Support lines with questions.

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 45
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Aren't we being a little futile here.

It costs $39.99.

Take it or leave it.

Why must we rehash history over and over again.

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 45
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The intent of the poll is to gauge how many said Yes (take it) and, for those who said No (leave it), why?

You are free to not discuss. This is a good point to rehash what I requested in my failed attempt to put up this poll:

- no need to discuss what the fee is for or how much you don't like it, that's already in the original thread
    - do NOT discuss other fees in this thread (appreciate the restraint already shown)
    - suggested discussion is the effect of the fee on Dish's efforts to reduce churn
    - the poll itself is also open for discussion

10. brettbolt

brettbolt Legend

Feb 22, 2006
    I just said 'no'. :) (in protest of the fee). However, I have been a Dish customer since 1997 and do not plan to churn. I think its still a better deal than cable. And I am happy with the recent bug fixes to the pause and skip functions, etc.

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Results after 2 weeks:

49% have paid or will pay $40
    33% won't activate unless there is no fee
    13% would for a reduced fee, most of those not until it drops to $10
    5% won't get it at all (I'm thinking this number is way to low, given that the only people who saw the poll are those who care about how the box works, i.e. us)

So for every 3 who pay, there are 2 others who would use EHD only if there were no extra cost. Add in those willing to pay a lesser amount and the numbers are almost even.

brettbolt is going to stick around anyway, so Dish is safe there ;). Of those interested in EHD, nearly half are turning it down because of the fee. If you were Dish, would it be worth the development cost to provide a feature that will keep subscribers tied to you ($40 vs $600+ SAC), or to collect a fee and reduce churn for only half the users?

12. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    no - because the amount of memory already in the system suits my needs just fine. What the hell do all you people do with all that space? do you recrd stuff then NEVER delete it?

13. treiher

treiher Member

Oct 24, 2002
    OK, I'll take a stab at this one . . . I did pay the $39 activation fee and bought an external hard drive, and here's my thinking . . .

I've been considering buying an HD DVD player. But the whole Blue Ray vs. HD-DVD war had me frustrated. I didn't like the idea of buying one format over the other, only to be shut out of an entire group of movies because so many are exclusive to one format or the either. Sure, you can get the LG dual version, but that's a cool $1000!

So then I think, why not spend a $120 for a 500GB external hard drive, pay the fee, and start recording HD movies? If you have the premium channels, its amazing how many HD movies you can record in a fairly short time, which take the place of DVD's I might have purchased. Now with Dish HD PPV, I have more choices, and the fee is still less than buying a DVD or still comparable to renting one. Overall, I'm in this for a lot less than a DVD player. If I fill up one hard drive, I can buy another. I view this as a bit of short term solution for me. Eventually the HD DVD thing will get sorted out, and maybe I'll look at again later, but for now, that's my plan.

I know, I know, some of the HD programming is HD Lite. I don't have access to all the movies right away, but over time, I bet I can record most of them. And even HD Lite is quite a bit better than standard def. DVD's. Also, the hard drive could die, I run the risk of losing the programs, and so on. But I've spent a lot less money in the meantime, even with the $39 activation fee and the cost of the hard drive.

So yeah! I'm recording stuff and not deleting it. I agree, if you don't take that approach, it doesn't make much sense. So that's what the hell I'm doing with it. :) Makes sense to me.

14. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    There you go... I have a HD DVD player, but with the HDD archiving will probably not get Blu-Ray as I am like you... archiving and happy :) Wild Hogs comes up in a week on PPV ;)

15. Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster Legend

Apr 15, 2006
    I'm not a Dish customer but I voted no fee based on "Why must I pay 40 bucks to save my recordings?

My real question is why are we paying this fee in the first place?

16. brettbolt

brettbolt Legend

Feb 22, 2006
    I voted no, and also started a thread here protesting the fee.

However, it seems that about 50% of the people responding here are OK with the fee.

The real simple answer to your question is that Dish CAN charge the fee if they want, so they did. They are in business to make money, and they've probably made quite a bundle with this enhancement. Many people here have waited a long time for this feature and really love it.

But I think Dish is being short sighted. They get short term gain from 1/2 of their customers, but the other 1/2 of them are not so happy with the fee. If the resulting 'customer churn' increases then it might turn out to be a bad decision for Dish.

17. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    Functionality costs money to develop and support. There's two ways for the people who developed it to recoup that cost.

First, they could force everyone to pay for it by increasing their baseline costs, regardless of whether they will actually use it or benefit from it. The advantage here is that they can just say "due to cost increases, we're forced to raise our rates" without specifying which things you're paying for, so you won't know which things you're paying for and not getting. That way, you can have the illusion that you're not paying for stuff when you actually are.

Second, they could offer you a choice. Pay for the functionality you use, or don't pay for it if you don't want to use it. It's up to you.

If you take this forum seriously, you'll be forced to conclude the second option is actually the terrible, unjustifiable evil. Thank heaven nearly everything in the past was done using the first option. And given the feedback DISH is getting, probably everything in the future will be, too. Hooray!

18. brettbolt

brettbolt Legend

Feb 22, 2006
    There's no question that it cost them development money to implement this feature.

I agree that its better to charge 1/2 the people $40 than to charge everyone $20 to recoup the cost.

Now if we could only do the same with the channel packages -- only pay for the specific channels we watch. That would be ideal. Right now only the AT250 package has the few channels that my family actually watches. We are all subsidizing the rest of the channels.

19. kckucera

kckucera Legend

Jul 31, 2005
    Yup paid it, have more than half filled my 500G and when full will use a second drive. I really like the ability to archive favorite movies.

20. HDlover

HDlover Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm going to Comcast (still no fsn-hd). Free D-VHS archiving not tied to Comcast. This is good but doesn't go all the way. It's more for E* than us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.