1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win 8 Pro Retail available on TechNet

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by TBlazer07, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    If you have a Technet sub Win 8 Pro retail version is now available for download.

2. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Got it last night.

It's, umm, "interesting".

Here's a user test. Put an experienced Windows 7 user in front of either the default Win8 user interface (formerly Metro), or the Win8 desktop, and time how long it takes them to command either a system shutdown or a restart, using only the mouse.

It's definitely good for a giggle or two, to watch someone attempt it. :lol:

Keith

3. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Yep, a bit of a learning curve and not the end of the world. Been using it since before the public release previews came out.

Anyone else think it runs significantly faster than Windows 7?

And I do think losing the Start button was stupid. But Microsoft insists that their instrumentation labs show that "people don't use it". This person does (or did) a lot.

BTW - to shut down, either swipe to open the "Charms" or press Windows Key+C, then select the Settings Charm.

AND WHY DID THEY TAKE AWAY MY GADGETS.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm surprised they allow as many license keys as they do, at least on an MSDN subscription. The rumor had been that they were going to crack down on the abuse of the program.

5. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Can Metro be disabled?

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    During the tech net preview I couldn't find the shutdown command to save my life.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Nope, not without third party software. I know stardock has one. I was hoping for at least a GPO.

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    I have the Technet "standard" which only provides 2 keys but each key is good for 10 installs.

HOWEVER, if you purchased and activated Technet after 7/1/12 your keys will expire with the expiration of your Technet sub and your software will no longer work where previously the keys would last forever.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I seem to be at that age where any learning curve is look upon as work and after being retire for more than a decade, I don't want anything to do with work.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Which is why I won't make my parents go off Windows 7 until 2019. My mothers deadline for getting off XP is fast approaching.

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
  12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't think that works anymore, Microsoft blocked it.

13. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yup. :( Just tried it. No go.

14. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Why are they trying to so HARD to alienate users?! I'll use Windows 8 when I can boot directly into the desktop, and shut it down/sleep/hibernate without having to use the Charms bar. I HATE things appearing when I mouse over a certain area!!!
    Are there any limitations on the desktop once you're into it? Also, I use a remote with my Windows 7, even though I don't use Windows Media Center or Windows Media Player (Use it with VLC). Is that going to work without purchasing the pro edition and the Media Center addon?

15. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Which is why I ordered a new laptop now to replace my 7.5 yo Celeron M XP laptop with a Windows 7 laptop and purchasing the Windows 8 Upgrade for install later... maybe. There are some good improvements with Windows 8, but the showstopper is that TETRIS start screen. Mind you, you can type the full name of the program to start it, and that you can display all of the program items. And, yes, you can display every installed program on the screen. But, it just isn't as compact or intuitive.

I even installed Windows 8 on a test computer at work so that people can get familiar with it near my desk. Noone likes it at work.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps M$ will pay these new users for educate them about basic things of W8.

17. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Problem with things like Win 8 is people fear change. Can you imagine what would happen if they completely overhauled/changed IOS? All the fruit folks would be up in arms.

18. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    The problem with the change is that Window 8 is mainly designed as a touch interface for people who sit 1-2 feet from their screen. I use a desktop connected to my 47" HDTV, and sit about 12 feet from it.

19. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Dont like it on my phone, wont use it on my computer. But I like it if it drops the price of Win7 :)

20. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    You have Windows 8 on your phone?
    Impressive ;)