WIN BIG in the DBSTalk "Know Your Moderators" Contest

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Nick, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The Official DBSTalk.Com

"KNOW YOUR MODERATORS"

Contest

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Win a DishNetwork™ 501 Receiver or a DirecTV™ R10 Tivo™ courtesy of our friends at

[​IMG]

All you have to do to win one of these excellent prizes is (1) be a registered member of DBSTalk.com, and (2) be the first to match a list of DBSTalk Moderators with a corresponding listing of their personal "Quirks" and "Favorite Flicks", as shown below. Each moderator is represented by a letter of the alphabet, while their 'quirks' and 'favorite flicks' are represented by a number. Your challenge is to match the moderators with their respective "quirks". The problem is, while the DBSTalk moderators are listed in order by first name, the list of their personal "quirks" and "favorite flicks" is scrambled! The first registered member of DBSTalk.Com to unscramble the list and post in this forum a correctly matched list of all listed moderators with their personal quirks and fav flicks will win their choice of a DishNetwork™ 501 receiver or a DirecTV R10 Tivo, courtesy of Dish Depot. Only one (1) prize will be awarded. The winner will be announced Monday, February 28 in the Official "Know Your Moderators" contest thread, along with the correct matches. If none of the entries has the correct matches, a random drawing of qualifying entries will be made to determine a winner.

Entries (posts) must be submitted by no later than 11:59pm, Eastern time, Sunday, February 27, 2005 by posting your answer to this thread. Once your entry is posted, you may edit your entry post. Important Note: If you do change (edit) your entry, the date and time your entry is edited will become your new entry date and time. Changes may be made only by the original poster, and such changes must be made within the contest entry period. One entry (post) per member. Additional entries, and irregular, incomplete or indecipherable entries are void. Entries may be submitted by posting to the official "Know your Moderators" contest thread. All entries, right or wrong, will be in plain view of other members and guests. Strategy may or may not be involved in the contest. Try to be the first with the correct answers, or wait and reveal your answers later in the contest period. In any case, be cognizant of the contest entry deadline of Sunday, February 27, 2005, 11:59pm Eastern. All entries become the property of DBSTalk.Com.

DBSTalk.Com Moderator List

a. Allen Noland

b. Chris Blount

c. Jason Nipp

d. Karl Foster

e. Mark Holtz

f. Mark Lamutt

g. Neil Derryberry

h. Nick

i. Richard King

j. Ron Barry

k. Steve Mehs

Quirks & Fav Flicks (FF)

1 - I have an indoor tree filled with sea creature 'Beanie Babies' and I would love to have gills; Fav Flicks: Highlander, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Star Wars

2 - I am a yard work fanatic; Fav Flicks: Raising Arizona, Crimson Tide, Dances With Wolves

3 - has 3 dishes on his small apt patio, owns all three previous seasons of "24" on DVD; Fav Flicks: Top Gun, Air Force One, As Good As It Gets, CE3K

4 - owns 3 HDTV's, listens to New Age, Trance & 80's Music, watches way to much Scifi; Fav Flicks: The Fifth Element. Star Trek II, the wrath of Kahn & Star Trek, First Contact.

5 - I'm a paranormal guy into paranormal events; Fav Flicks: Field Of Dreams, LOTR, Braveheart.

6 - likes movie soundtracks, rolls on the floor laughing at those who can't spell "either" either, has over 300 DVD's; FF: Air Force One, Back To The Future Trilogy

7 - I'm a organizer and a neat freak; Fav Flicks: South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut, We Were Soldiers, 8MM

8 - likes Broadway Musicals, he's an electrical engineer who was quoted saying "I hate math" and "Boolean was a Putz", also, he has FM3 Visa status for Mexico; Fav Flicks: Bugs Bunny, Gladiator, Pearl Harbor, Collateral

9 - has had 5 different cell phones and 3 different carriers in the last 6 months; Fav Flicks: TheHunt for Red October, Better Off Dead, Tombstone

10 - believed to be quite younger than his stated age, known as "schedule putty" for filling holes in his job's work schedule; Fav Flicks: The Lady Vanishes, Twelve Angry Men, Apollo 13.

11 - he likes to "shoot" lightning, and never uses his kitchen; Fav Flicks: Harold and Maude, Raising Arizona, Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Please submit your entry single-spaced and in the 'letter-number' format shown below. Incomplete or incomprehensible entries are void and will not be accepted.

Example entry:

x-1
    y-2
    z-3
    ---
    ---
    ---

Contest rules: Official "Know Your Moderators" Contest Rules

1. Match the listed moderators with the accompanying scrambled list of personal "quirks" and "favorite flicks", and post your answers in a 'letter-number' format, i.e., "x-8" or "X-8". You may post your answers only in the official contest thread, with your answers forming a column on the left margin of your post. Entries not in the official contest forum, or in the prescribed answer format, or are otherwise indecipherable are void and will not be considered. The first correct answer received at DBSTalk.Com by date and time posted will be considered the winning answer. If no correct answer is received, a random drawing will be held from a group of all eligible entries to determine the winner. The decision of the judges is final.

2. The contest entry period will end Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:59pm (midnight) which time the official contest thread will be closed and no further entries (posts) will be accepted.

3. The winner will be announced by post to the official contest thread. In addition, an attempt will be made to contact the winner via email or the DBSTalk Private Message (PM) service. The correct matches, or "answers" will also be revealed in the official contest thread. It is possible that more than one contestant will have the correct answer, but only the earliest correct answer (by post or edit date and time) will be declared the winner.

4. Upon receipt of the winner's choice of prizes and a valid shipping address, the prize will be shipped, or otherwise delivered to the contest winner. Once the contest prize is shipped, DBSTalk is not responsible for lost or misdirected delivery.

5. Once the drawing is held, all entries will be discarded.

6. All DBSTalk.com contest participants are required to be registered members of DBSTalk.com in good standing to enter the contest. DBSTalk.Com staff members (administrators and moderators, including previous staff members) may not participate. While participants outside the United States are welcome to play, prizes will be only awarded to legal residents of the United States of America (USA).

7. The “DBS Talk ”Know Your Moderators" contest is run by DBSTalk.Com and is not affiliated with DirecTV, Dish Network, Voom, Sky Angel, it’s dealers or affiliates, or any with any other website. The winner's prize is donated by Dish Depot, however, in the event of unavailability of a designated prize, substitution of an equal or greater prize will be offered to the winner, at the sole discretion of Dish Depot.

8. Contest rules are subject to modification. If a modification of the rules is made, such change(s) will be posted in the DBSTalk.Com official contest thread.

9. Winners of any DBSTalk.Com contests may win only once in a running 12 month period. Non-winning entrants may continue to enter other official DBSTalk.Com contests.

10. Odds of winning is solely dependent upon the contestant's knowledge of listed moderators, powers of deduction, or plain old blind luck.

Disclaimer: DBSTalk.com is not responsible for weather, technical problems or any other occurrence or "Act of God" that may prevent a member from entering or participating in this contest. Neither DBSTalk.Com, staff, moderators or the contest coordinators will be responsible for entry, posting or transmission errors. DBSTalk.com is not responsible for any problems, technical malfunctions or traffic congestion on the Internet or on the DBSTalk.com web site, including, but not limited to user or wardrobe malfunctions. Any attempt by a participant to deliberately damage the DBSTalk.Com web site or attempt to undermine the legitimate operation of the contest is a violation of criminal and civil law. Should such an attempt be made, DBSTalk.Com and/or its assigns reserve the right to file charges in a criminal proceeding, and to seek punishment of such offender(s) to the fullest extent of the law, or to file a civil suit in a court of competent jurisdiction and to seek damages from the offending party(s). Contest void where prohibited by law.

---o---​

2. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    Another change...let's now go with...

a-4
    b-6
    c-8
    d-2
    e-10
    f-1
    g-9
    h-3
    i-11
    j-5
    k-7

3. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    a. 7
    b. 6
    c. 8
    d. 2
    e. 10
    f. 1
    g. 4
    h. 3
    i. 11
    j. 5
    k. 9

I assumed a few trick quirks meant to throw our answers!

4. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    a-7
    b-6
    c-8
    d-2
    e-10
    f-1
    g-9
    h-3
    i-11
    j-4
    k-5

5. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    a-7
    b-9
    c-2
    d-5
    e-4
    f-1
    g-10
    h-3
    i-6
    j-11
    k-8

6. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    All "quirks" and favs answers were provided by the moderators and are supposed to be authentic. I cannot assure you that they are exactly truthful, but some are pretty bizarre!

Other than scrambling the order of the quirks and fav flicks, no dirty tricks have been played.

7. mwgiii

mwgiii Gaming Guru and Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    a - 2
    b - 3
    c - 7
    d - 9
    e - 6
    f - 4
    g - 1
    h - 11
    i - 8
    j - 5
    k - 10

Some of those are quite disturbing! I'm not sure I would want to know a couple of you.:lol:

8. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    This should be a great and fun contest. Many thanks goes to Nick for setting all this up. Good luck everyone and thanks for entering.

9. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    a-2
    b-3
    c-7
    d-1
    e-5
    f-4
    g-8
    h-10
    i-11
    j-6
    k-9

10. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, maybe not tricks, but I see a few quirks that could apply to different people, so I really had to think on this.

Eiather way, it's a fun contest! :D

11. todcox

todcox Mentor

Jun 26, 2003
    a-7
    b-6
    c-8
    d-2
    e-10
    f-1
    g-9
    h-3
    i-11
    j-5
    k-4

12. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    a-3
    b-7
    c-9
    d-1
    e-10
    f-11
    g-4
    h-6
    i-8
    j-2
    k-5

13. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I believe, if you look it up, that it's Eaither. :D

14. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Is that a hint? I don't want to loose this contest. :)

15. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Nah, just a quip. I believe it's lose, not loose. :lol: :D

16. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Eaither I was too (not to) lazy to (not too) look it up, or I am just losing (not loosing) my mind!

But that is what I meant by the 'trick quirk' comment, for example, there could be a few answers to the 'eaither' quirk.

I tend to pick up something that one mod has said over the years, and associate that with their complete personality, like I actually know that person. Then after reading the list of quirks and favorite movies over, I realize I don't know you guys at all! My apologies, but especially some of the newer mods.

Thanks for a great contest, Nick! :goodjob:

17. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
  18. pweezil

pweezil LGOE/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 11, 2002
    a-2
    b-4
    c-8
    d-9
    e-10
    f-1
    g-6
    h-3
    i-11
    j-7
    k-5

19. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I love it...and some of you do know me...

20. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    We ask only that contestants be, or sign up to be registered members. All members in good standing are eligible to play with the exception of current/former admins and mods.

Any new or recent member could win BIG simply by making a SWAG - Scientific Wild-A** Guess - which would probably have as good a chance of being correct as any 'old-timer' who is naive enough to think he really "knows" the DBSTalk.Com Moderators, some of whom are former CIA operatives currently in the retired "CIA Operative Protection" program" (COP). (You didn't think we were just ordinary guys, did you?) :D

Anyway, Good Luck, and back to the contest... :)