Windows 10 and "Cast To" Hopper?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Ferguson, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Ferguson

Ferguson Cool Member

Jul 25, 2006
    This has to be simple to find but no luck.

Can Windows 10 play a movie with the "Cast to" feature through the hopper?

I can "see" the hopper as a target in the Windows 10 context menu on a MP4 file. When I "Cast to" I got a popup (once) on the Hopper asking for permission.

About half the time I can get the hopper to go to a black screen like it's ready to receive, but then the PC gives an "unexpected error" with no details. I have also tried with the PC firewall off (no change).

Is this supposed to work?

These are home movies, nothing with DRM, and I could change formats easily if it's a format issue.

I see there are software packages that appear to provide this (e.g. tversity) that I have not tried, as I always want additional software as a last resort.

On a related note, can VLC do this? I tend to use that as a player on windows itself, and I know it can do transcoding and streaming outbound, but not sure how to address it to the Hopper. Same with FFMPEG which I keep around for transcoding.

2. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    AirPlay and other device connection protocols would be nice too.

3. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Windows Media Player 12.0 works good for me when I stream pictures and music with Windows 10.

4. partysox

partysox New Member

Jan 13, 2016
    indiana
    I have the same problem with windows 10 when I try to stream my music I get a black screen.I can stream music from my windows 7 laptop with media player 11 but not media player 12.this started with the s528 update on my hws.