Windows 7 ipad?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, May 17, 2010.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Is there anything like the ipad that will run Windows 7? Or maybe a way to put Windows 7 on the ipad? I'd love to have a just a little screen to carry around, without a physical keyboard. It's got to have built in wi-fi though (802.11n).

2. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
  3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    HP announced something a while back call the "Slate"... but I heard rumors that it was canceled. Not sure though. It looked pretty sweet.

4. MyDogHasFleas

MyDogHasFleas AllStar

Jan 4, 2007
    A netbook. It's an iPad that runs Windows 7 and has a built-in physical keyboard.

The above was somewhat sarcastic... but it's the solution I've hit on.

If you really want a touchscreen Windows 7 box, Lenovo has the S10-3t for a very reasonable price.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Rest assured that there will be plenty of products like this released in the next couple of months.

The truth is that there have been dedicated "tablet" versions of Windows since XP, but the device format has just never caught on. Some of that is due to inadequate marketing, some to software, and some to hardware/battery life issues. The latter has recently gotten to the point where processors are fast enough for full-motion video at a decent resolution while batteries are good enough to run such a device for a few hours.

The real drawback has always been the lack of tablet-specific apps. That's really where Apple will succeed; the Apps Store gives developers a focused location for App sales and free advertising of their existence. Where Windows could win is the fact that there isn't likely going to be the policing of apps that Apple typically does, so anyone will be able to write and share a Windows tablet app.

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    AirRocker is rolling on the floor in hysterics.... :lol::lol:

7. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I was going to make a comment along the lines of "not if you want it to work"... but I refrained and offered a helpful comment. :) :lol:

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Why?

I love our iPad, but it is what it is because it does what it does well. As I noted in my blog entry on it:
    Since the mid-1980's we've used nothing but Microsoft OS based computers. But I can't imagine fighting Windows 7 on something like my iPad. Heck, Windows 7 on the desktop I'm using right now already has developed problems as it gets updated and I have loaded software. I'm back into editing the registry.

Already people have identified business uses the iPad does well. But for the typical Microsoft Office user, IMHO you really need to add a keyboard, and then you might as well use a Windows 7 notebook or netbook.

Just my opinion.

9. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Wait for the Google tablets if you do not want to go iPad.

If you want Windows on a touch device you are best to go with a good tablet PC, but are going to pay for it. Good tablet PCs are awesome, much different than an iPad though.

I understand your frustration, I want a good tablet that runs windows or something close as well and is not insanely priced. The netbook tablets don't cut it. The iPad is too limited for doing work stuff for me...I need my full excel/word and ability to run regular programs if I want to use it as a daily use device for more than just web surfing.

10. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    As stated before, there will be plenty of iPad alternatives. Some will do well, some won't. Just keep an eye on Engadget and Gizmodo.

It's no secret that I have an iPad. My wife has one as well. We both use them extensively. They function great and NEVER crash.

Quite frankly I think a Windows 7 based tablet will have issues right from the start especially when apps start hitting the streets. There will be no one central source for quality assurance.

As much as people hate Apple, hate Steve Jobs and hate the culture of Apple, its hard to argue that a OS with strict oversite has advantages.

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    You are having to edit the registry on Windows 7 to use it? Sorry, but there is a problem between chair and keyboard OR crappy 3rd party software in that case. :lol:

Windows 7 is just fine, and if you have used it with the tablet optimizations turned on it is actually better at that then people give it credit for. I agree that a real keyboard is necessary for most real office type work, but I would still love the ability to run full office on a touch device so I can interact with things I have already made and do small, but full featured, edits.

The iPad has its place ( I would love one as a web surfing tablet ), and it is stupid to compare it to a full OS device IMO. I am just saying in addition to the iPad I wish there was a good, cheaper, full featured OS slate style tablet. Would be perfect for my daily out and about use. Have not seen one coming yet though, I was hopeful for the HP Slate but it looks like they made it a cheap shelled netbook and thus canceled it after people started seeing it as such.

Pros AND Cons, like anything. It has its place.

12. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007

You Apple Fanboys are all alike...and of course bow to Steve in the west each morning :)

For the other 85 percent (including amost all the medical and business users.....both Asus and Exopc will have windows units out shortly and more will be on the way in the 4th quarter.

I can assure you they will do everything AND MUCH MORE then the Apple does, and understand there are some people that are testing them now ;)

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Many Windows 7 "tweaks" can be done through the Registry. But it's always 3rd party software that drives me around the bend and some of it isn't by "fly-by-night software company." It's exactly this problem that makes me sympathetic to the rigid Apple rules about Apps on my iPad.

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I agree that 3rd party software is a huge issue on windows. It is like how we for some reason cannot get any decent consumer grade video apps? Or how apps people are making for windows look like they are from the 90s, yet when they go on OSX they spend the time to make decent looking icons and fonts :nono2:

Not exactly Microsoft or Apple's doing, just up to 3rd parties and what they are making.

15. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I am sure they will do plenty, but battery life is not something they will equal (though with the Atom processors, this is getting better). They will also not be quite as thin and light. I have been looking for a tablet for years hoping I could find something to make me happy (I've even bought a couple) and I hope that someone comes out with a Windows tablet that is good, but so far, nothing has been just what I want, including the iPad, but it is the closest so far.

16. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I have an HP Touchsmart running Windows 7 flawlessly. I love it, it is the best computer I've ever used. The touch interface is excellent. With that said, it's a 25" screen and weighs just shy of 50 lbs, so not exactly the portable tablet you're looking for.

As for that, HP is developing a tablet based on WebOS. I know it hasn't gotten the props it deserves, but my family has been using Palm Pre's and we love them. Again, flawless user interface, and great intuitive design. No bugs, crashes, etc. (The only problem I ever encounter with the Pre is when I try to run a graphically intensive game like Tom Clancy's HAWX, NFL 2010, or The Settlers just after I have closed several open cards. I get the "too many cards" error, when I have no cards open. I try again in a minute, and no problems. I understand that the Pre Plus fixes this with double the RAM, but we only have the Pre on Sprint at the moment.)

Forget the evil iEmpire, wait for a tablet from HP. Of course, you won't have the trendy apple on the back to show your friends, but you'll be happier with the product.

17. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Fujitsu used to do 'slate' Tablets running XP, Vista and Win7. Not sure if they're still doing them. Toshiba also do them, the screen revolves and sits flat on top of the keyboard when you don't need the keyboard, but can turn back to make it look like a regular notebook. Motion Computers also made 'slates'.

18. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    they are, just ordered 300 of them, T4410 Lifebooks

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    To me that is a notebook computer. Probably a good one, but not an iPad competitor. Newegg has them for $1,500 configured as "Fujitsu LifeBook T4410 Tablet PC Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz) 12.1" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR3 1066 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA X4500," weighing 4.4 lbs. A common brick weighs about 4.5 pounds.

I just can't see me using it to read a book in the bathroom. At 1.5 pounds, my iPad is at the limit IMHO.;)

20. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm dying to buy my wife a tablet and just waiting to see what the first Droid tablet may offer compared to the iPad. I'm guessing we'll see one or two of them prior to the start of the next school year. We have one 8-month old granddaughter, and my daughter is expecting in June, so a device with a built-in webcam would be a big plus.

Also, a question for you guys who have lived with the iPad for a couple of months now. Has a lack of Flash support caused any problems for you? I'm generally an Apple fan, but this "anti-Flash" stance Jobs is taking really ticks me off.