1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 RC: Installation Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2009 #1 of 38
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    This thread will be for any issues occuring during the installation of Windows 7 RC.

Larry

2. May 1, 2009 #2 of 38
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I put 32-bit Windows 7 on my desktop (Asus socket 775 motherboard, Intel 6600 dual core, 2GB memory) for the first time, which has an NVidia GE Force 7300 SE graphics card. Windows 7 found new drivers for it after installation (8.15.11.8172).

What's happening is during normal use, the screen will "blink" once or twice, every 3-4 minutes. It's similar to the way it blinks during installation, when it's trying to calculate the best resolution, or when you change resolution and hit apply.

I went on the NVidia website and actually found a newer driver than the Win 7 update found (8.15.11.8581), but I'm still having the same issue. Couldn't find any "issues" in the NVidia forums similar to this one.

I tried changing refresh rates as well, but no dice. I'm connected to a 19" LCD and had no issues with this video card and the latest drivers under XP SP3.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! TIA. /steve

3. May 1, 2009 #3 of 38
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Steve... go to the card manufacturers web site and download the latest Vista driver for that card.... then go to the device manager and remove the card. Reboot and when Windows 7 wants to install something say no... then manually run the driver package for Vista and see if that works. If it doesn't let me know. Your screen will look really funky until you get the driver reinstalled.

4. May 1, 2009 #4 of 38
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Thanks, Larry!

Man this is tough. Whenever I uninstall the display adapter, when Win 7 comes back after rebooting, it insists on re-installing the NVidia drivers it came bundled with... IOW, I can't say "no".

What I'm going to try now is to manually overwrite that NVidia driver with a standard VGA driver and then try the latest from the NVidia website. They have both Win 7 and Vista drivers, BTW. I assume when you said above to grab the Vista driver, you meant the latest Win 7 driver, right?

If that doesn't work, I'll probably just stick with the standard VGA driver. It doesn't "blink" and gives me the 1280x1024 resolution I need along with 32-bit color, so I'm not sure I need the NVidia stuff anyway. What do you think? /steve

5. May 1, 2009 #5 of 38
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Steve... the latest WIndows 7 driver is a beta and may be the cause of your blinking, that's why I said get the Vista driver... however... go ahead and try the Windows 7 driver... if it cures your problem, great if not use the Vista driver.

6. May 1, 2009 #6 of 38
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    If you forgot this like I did, my Samsung LNT 4665 was connected to the PC using a DVI to HDMI Connection. My normal monitor is a Dell 2309.

Windows 7 decided that the Samsung was a truly fine monitor to make the primary during the installation. The result was, that I didn't know it had made this choice and all I knew was that I was looking at a black screen on the Dell... but the Build number was showing.

It finally hit me and I switched the Samsung over to the PC's input and completed the install and then switched the primary monitor back to the Dell.

Disconnect your big TV's before you install.

Larry

7. May 1, 2009 #7 of 38
    HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Can you uninstall the driver & then on reboot, go into safe mode? I think if you do that it won't automatically try to install a driver but will let you run a driver install program. I'm not positive, though.

8. May 1, 2009 #8 of 38
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Gotcha. I'll give that a shot. Thx. /steve

9. May 1, 2009 #9 of 38
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Good idea, Julie. I'll try that as well if the Vista driver doesn't solve my issue. Thx! /steve

10. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Weird little bug..
    Separate partition install, dual boot.
    I have all my storage folders on separate partition (same as vista) on second drive.
    I also have the folder options set to show all files and show system files..

What I am getting is that Desktop.ini is showing on the desktop.. not just in a folder but right on the desktop..

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    So neither the NVidia driver that comes with Win 7 or the Win 7 update works. Nor does the latest Win 7 driver from the NVidia website. Just the Vista driver works. Go figure! :lol: /steve

(8.15.11.8171) - NG - Comes with RC1
    (8.15.11.8172) - NG - Comes from Windows Update
    (8.15.11.8580) - OK - NVidia website Vista driver
    (8.15.11.8581) - NG - NVidia website Win 7 driver

12. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I have an GeForce 8800GT & I downloaded the driver from the Nvidia site before I did the install. Windows 7 installed its own driver & then I just ran the Nvidia file after that. My video looks great though I only get 5.9 in the rating.

13. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I'm going to try an install to a 40GB USB 2.0 EXT HDD. All of my internal drives are being used. Is this doable? Will USB 2.0 be fast enough to support an OS?

14. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Got Windows 7 RC1 burned to a DVD. Ran it only to discover Windows 7 can't run on a USB or Firewire EXT HDD. So I had to swap an 2nd internal drive for the ext hdd. I plan to install than way. Just an FYI.

15. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, you told it to show all files didn;t you? ;)

I noticed the same thing a while back.

16. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Downloaded last night burned and installed to my Laptop; Works beautiful but now having issue installing to my desktop keeps saying some files are missing or could be corrupted will try burning the image to another dvd and see if that works any other ides to what could be wrong will help

UPDATE:
    Apparently i may have a bad dvd drive on my desktop because it would read any blank dvd's, it will recognise the early dvd's i burned for the windows 7 beta & windows vista beta which were burned on both dvd-r & dvd+r but all the same brand "Memorex so i will try a different burner tonite or different brand of dvd's but if anyone has another opinion please share

17. sideswipe

sideswipe Legend

Dec 4, 2008
    Julie thats right on par, my 4830 ATI card only showing 6.1 (cards are similarly ranked by tomshardware) what i still find strange (abeit i know its the sata 1.5 bandwith) is my older 74gb raptor hard drive only gets 5.9

18. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Did a clean install. I had only a couple minor hiccups in installation of RC1 and they were resolved quickly. The first was my NIC in my old (circa Spring 2004) laptop did not have a driver and had an exclamation mark next to it. I plugged it into my router and then it came alive and installed the driver for the NIC and the driver for the wireless card. (With the public beta, I had to go out and find the driver for the wireless card and install, IRRC.) That got me up and running and things went smoothly from there.

I did notice that when installing it saved my beta install of Win 7 to windows.old for access later. That turned out to be good because when looking for a printer driver later, it eventually automatically found the one I had installed for the beta, which took some digging to find back in January. Pretty neat.

I do not see much difference between the public beta (7000) and RC1 (7100), which is good. The speed feels pretty good...about same as the beta, which is good for this old fart of a laptop. The biggest issue for me with this install on this old laptop is my outdated hardware. It runs very nicely and much better than XP but I can't get the full experience of Win 7 with this old hardware. The graphics card is too old and won't support Aero. Interestingly, it also won't let me use the screen savers. I get a message that monitor or card does not support..... In the public beta, it worked fine. I have a recollection of the beta automatically installing an ATI driver that helped out in this regard. But, this time it installed a generic driver. It works fine but would be nice to see if I can get some other things working with it that depend on the monitor. If not, I'm content with it.

I may install Win 7 on my desktop power system. It's running Vista 64 right now and has two 500gb hard drives. I may take D drive and use that to run as a dual boot system to give it whirl on a more powerful system. Any one have some good instructions on setting up a dual boot system?

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    My NVidia GeForce 7300 GS only gets a 3.8! :p /steve

20. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I could be wrong on Win7, but I just installed Vista Ultimate on Monday to an i7-965 with a MSI GTS 250 and OCZ 60 GB SDD on a ASUS Rampage II GENE and the maximum I can get with it is 5.9 on all items. I have read that 5.9 is the highest the performance indicator can muster, for Vista. Perhaps this is also true for Win7?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.