1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 RC: Software Program Issues

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 1, 2009 #1 of 95
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    This thread will be for issues that you have when installing software into the Windows 7 RC OS.

Larry

2. May 1, 2009 #2 of 95
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    For some reason, the adobe.com web site which is supposed to detect the verion of browser and OS you go to their web site with, to supply you with the correct versions of Reader, Flash and Shockwave... decided that Adobe Reader 7 should be installed in Windows 7...

Windows 7 detected that something was wrong with the installation and will direct you to a corrected download on the adobe web site... follow the instructions that the OS gives you and you will correctly end up with an Adobe Reader V9.X.

Flash and Shockwave install correctly.

3. May 2, 2009 #3 of 95
    Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    That's pretty smart of the MS Win 7 OS. Impressive.

4. May 2, 2009 #4 of 95
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Funny thing is the Acrobat site used to work ok IIRC. I had read about this a few weeks ago so I just told it I was on Vista and it gave me the 9.1 download right away.

5. May 2, 2009 #5 of 95
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Had some issues with Snagit 9.1.1 but none so far with 9.1.2

6. May 2, 2009 #6 of 95
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    TAPI settings for Shoretel 7.5 will not save. While everythng else seems to work this is pretty much a deal killer for this app. Running in XPM seems fine but mildly quirky.

7. May 2, 2009 #7 of 95
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Not sure it it's related to Windows 7, office 2007 SP2, or some combination. I had Outlook 2007 working just fine connecting to my exchange 2007 server. Office 2007 SP2 was applied and Outlook could no longer connect to Exchange. In the end I had to completely uninstall/reinstall Office. I reinstalled all office updates except SP2 and I'm back to working OK.

8. May 2, 2009 #8 of 95
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    There are many reports of difficulties with the combination you described and I suspect that somewhere in the labyrinth of the software there is something amiss that got overlooked... that being said, from everything I could read the various teams are aware and working on the issue.

9. May 3, 2009 #9 of 95
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Windows 7 RC: Installed so far:

Office 2007 Ultimate SP2 - no problems
    Citrix GoTo Assist - no problems
    Adobe Flash and Shockwave - no problems
    Adobe Reader - problems as reported in
    Java - no problems
    Windows Live Messenger - no problems
    Doro pdf - no problems
    Windows Live Writer - no problems
    Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 - no problems

10. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    First time I have seen this...

The very popular Free AVG has worked thus far with Windows 7, but now in the RC there is an issue, though not one that keeps it from working.

Officially it says in the Action Center:

"AVG Free Anti-Virus is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported".

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Avira free works fine. Great protection, too. It finished second in AV-Comparitives February's tests. Only G Data detected more viruses (.1%), but there's no "free" version, only a 30-day trial. /steve

12. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Trillian IM software works..

13. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006

An interesting but little know fact about GData: it uses the Avast engine and Bit-Defender engine. They also get the AV detection updates from Avast and Bit-Defender. Frankly, any of the AV programs in the top 5 are excellent and the differences are often negligible.

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ya, to your point, in the February testing, 17 programs were examined. 11 found over 97% of 1,274,928 threats.

That said, there were a few programs that scored in the 80's. I suppose we should avoid those, since there are so many better ones to choose from. /steve

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Actually, looking at those results carefully, if you take "false alarms" into account, McAfee looks like it detected the most threats (99.1) with the least false alarms, so it may be the best "all-round" program, at the moment.

As the PDF states, tho, some folks aren't concerned with false alarms and just want the highest detection rates... period. You need to choose based on what's more important to you. /steve

16. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    I wonder how the new Avira version 9 stacks up to those tests now... (the latest report used version 8.2)

17. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Had a conversation with someone at the IE8 development team today. IE8 in Windows 7 RC is not the final version of IE8.

IE8 for Vista, XP and 2003 are final.

They are still working on some bug fixes in IE8 for Windows 7.

For those of you that prefer another browser such as FireFox, someone should try removing IE8 completely from the Windows 7 OS. This is supposed to be possible though I do not know if it has been implemented in the RC. It will definitely be part of the final version of Windows 7 but I am unwilling to try uninstalling it at this time as I am not yet sure how I would re-install it.

Larry

18. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Odd that they did not include the final version of IE8 in the RC. Assuming there is no RC2, will those running RC1 until March 2010 be stuck with an impaired IE8 or do you think there will be some hot fix to the Win 7 RC1 code to allow IE8 to run properly?

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I just tried it. I don't think it's quite an "uninstall". Just a procedure to "hide it". You do it through the "Turn Windows features on/off" control panel item.

Turning it off and on requires a reboot each way. When you turn it back on, it doesn't remember your previous settings or bookmarks. You get the new install wizard.

/steve

Attached Files:

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I had some real trouble getting my ATI x1400 working on my laptop, had to install a version from a few months ago and bypass the compatibility check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.