1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Ultimate and Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jul 2, 2009 #1 of 23
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I have made no secret that I was generally less than enthusiastic about the announced Windows 7 pricing structure.

One of my biggest concerns was Microsoft's failure to address the Vista Ultimate situation.

Vista Ultimate was a broken promise.

People who invested in Vista Ultimate got a great OS, no question, but what they didn't get was the Ultimate Extras that were promised.

Even the Vista Update system on an Ultimate machine had a separate "Utlimate Extras Update" section. Only thing was, all we got was an extra game and some video desktops.

I suppose the game had some value, but the video desktops (Dreamscenes) were pretty much a failure. They placed an enormous hit on system resources.

So the truth is, the Vista Ultimate buyer got nothing for his money.

As a TechNet subscriber this didn't affect me directly but all the regular Vista Ultimate buyers were left with a broken promise.

Microsoft needs to address this failure. Why should anyone invest $219 in a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade? Even if they actually come up with some extras in Windows 7 do they not owe the Vista Ultimate buyer some consideration?

I would think that at least a 90 day window of half price upgrade Ultimate to Ultimate would be appropriate or, failing that, an Upgrade method that would allow Vista Ultimate users to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional without doing a clean install.

I'm just saying...

Larry

2. Jul 2, 2009 #2 of 23
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I did pay the extra money for Vista Ultimate, and did pay for the extra bells and whistles. And, yes, I was disappointed. In my opinion, those who paid to get the Vista Ultimate should get the WIndows 7 upgrade for free.

Having said that, the only difference between Windows 7 professional and WIndows 7 Ultimate that I can see is the bitlocker technology and the additional 35 languages. So, getting the Windows 7 Pro upgrade isn't really a downgrade for most users. My plan is to purchase a 1 TB hard drive in October, and install Windows 7 onto that hard drive.

Maybe I should write Microsoft...

3. Jul 2, 2009 #3 of 23
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'll second that! Vista Ultimate was a major disappointment for me.

While I would prefer to see Microsoft upgrade all us Vista Ultimate owners to Windows 7 Ultimate for free, I'd be willing to pay a greatly reduced price (say $49) as well.

4. Jul 2, 2009 #4 of 23
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Before testing the beta I had purchased Vista Ultimate 64 Bit for my new machine. Comparing it to Vista Home Premium which was on Mrs. Smiddy's machine, I was sorely disappointed that I spent more moeny for very little in return. The value was lacking for me. Now, since I went to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, I was again further disappointed and am serisouly considering moving to Home Premium instead since there is nothing in the RC that attracts me to it. $49.00 for Home Premium is a sweet deal...

5. Jul 2, 2009 #5 of 23
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given the performance of most 1TB drives, I would recommend going with a much smaller and higher performance drive for the OS installation and then adding a large drive for your storage needs.

6. Jul 2, 2009 #6 of 23
    Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Hmmmm.... if I was purchasing the 1 TB hard drive today, I would consider getting the Western Digital Black drive offered by NewEgg for $99. I am avoiding the so-called "Green" drives for active OS, although I may consider one for archival storage.

7. Jul 2, 2009 #7 of 23
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Folks, Windows 7 Home Premium would probably be adequate for most home needs... with one caveat.. if you need to interface with you workplace or would work from home on the PC in question, stay with Windows 7 Professional.. you might run into some issues, especially as companies start making use of the Windows 2008 Server Systems.

There are some unique properties that only come into play with a Windows 7 PC and Windows 2008 Server, not the least of which is the ability to do VPN connections without all of the effort it now takes to accomplish that.

Larry

8. Jul 2, 2009 #8 of 23
    Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    I too am surprised that MS is not cutting some slack for Vista Ultimate owners to get into Windows 7 Ultimate at a very good (big discount) price but has instead been silent on the issue. Very odd and a poor approach by MS. Candidly, given Vista Ultimate's failure and reputation, I'm surprised that MS even labeled a version of Windows 7 as Ultimate. I would have thought they would have distanced themselves from that name and the associated fiasco...especially since there are just some minor differences (at least right now in the RC) between Windows 7 Ultimate and Professional. They should have just tossed those Ulimate extras into the Professional version and sold that as the highest version for the excellent price of $99 they are doing now. Assuming the current pricing/sku lineup is the final word on this issue by MS, then I think, as pointed out by others, that Professional is the way to go if you need the extra features not contained in Home premium and Professional is indeed an excellent bargain at $99. I wouldn't be surprised if MS shifts directions on the cost for Vista Ultimate users to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

9. Jul 2, 2009 #9 of 23
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    What's the deal with that link going to jdoqocy.com before redirecting to NEWEGG? :confused:

The direct link to Newegg is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

10. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    :confused: [size=+2]WHAT?!?!?[/size] :confused: And what is this jdogocy.com? :confused:

THIS IS NOT ME! I took the link DIRECTLY from NewEgg and pasted it into my reply. I do not have a affiliate account, and my purpose was to show the specs and price of the hard drive that I was considering for Windows 7. I did not embed any link to Commission Junction or whatever it is.

Sigh....

:backtotop

11. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Guys.. I have it on pretty good authority that we may not have heard the last about Windows 7 Pricing.......

More to follow

Larry

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I would tend to believe that....

Have 2 unopened, uninstalled copies of Vista Ultimate sitting right here...just ready to trade in...:D:lol:

13. johnck78

johnck78 Godfather

Feb 18, 2007
    Same here FF 3.5

14. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    I do see the link to jdoqcy.com. But if i click it it does go to the item on newegg

15. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    I see the same thing, but don't think it's any problem.

16. swaff

swaff Hail to the Redskins

Feb 15, 2009
    Central...
    Same thing here - XP - IE6

17. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Thanks. I'm still leery of a link to a site that deals with commissions, but will remove my posts so Larry can have his thread back. Can everyone else please do the same and delete the off-topic posts about the links? Thanks for checking for me.

18. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I really hope there is a new pricing structure announced, and many others are taking Microsoft to task for their Win7 plans.

From BetaNews:

The article includes a reply from Microsoft to this question, but it doesn't make complete sense to me. Why not just offer the Pro package and let the "niche" users purchas the "extras" as add-ons?

The article also out that Microsoft's comparison points out the only differences between Pro and Ultimate are the language pack and Bitlocker, but there are a few other differences that for me still won't make Ultimate the package I'd chose:

19. Mark Holtz

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Sigh... new plan....

Currently, I have 2 1-TB drives for backup purposes. (one is on-site, one is offsite). I'm hoping that a few more 1.5TB drives hit the market by Windows 7 release date. That way I can move my backups to the 1.5TB drives, and use the 1 TB drives for Windows 7.

Slight problem... according to NewEgg, there are only TWO 1.5 TB drives available. One is a Seagate which has potential firmware issues (but hopefully, it's fixed by now). The other is a Western Digital "Green" drive which, in my eyes, may be slower performance when it comes to making actual backups when using Ghost.

Opinions?

20. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    If applocker is ultimate only I am going ultimate.

You guys aren't aware of applocker? Applocker lets you tell apps what they can and cannot install. You can basically install a program with a virus and not let it insall the virus, or install a game with starforce and not let it install starforce.

This certainly isn't totally true, esp. if the virus is in the file itself. But if the files need to connect online to download crap you can stop it by not giving it permission.