Winegard Original Carryout & HR24 In My Camper

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mitch5252, Feb 26, 2021.

1. mitch5252

mitch5252 New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I have used the same Directv receiver and original Winegard Carryout antenna for years, including in my current camper (2018 Lance). I take the receiver from my guest room and put it in the camper for the camping season. My house has a SWM setup. The camper does not.

So, for some reason, yesterday, for the life of me, I couldn't get the receiver to recognize there was a signal. I changed the coax in the camper to the television. I changed the coax from the Winegard to the outside (SAT input) on the camper. I have a very clear and open sky.

I just keep getting NO SATELLITE SIGNAL DETECTED. When I reboot the Directv receiver, it defaults back to SWM and I change it to multi-switch and I've tried every option for the LNB choices...ON EDIT: Also, for the first time ever, tells me I need a b-band converter (whatever that is...)

Anything I might be missing that I can try! (I know I cannot receive HD signals in the camper using the Winegard...that's not a problem for me. I just want a signal. Any signal...) Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Carryout is a Ku-only setup so if you tell the HR24 that you have a Phase III dish (or less), you should be good to go (assuming that the HR24 firmware still has the smarts to control the Carryout).

Make sure the power inserter for your Carryout is present and plugged in.

Could you confirm exactly what model Carryout we're talking about???

3. mitch5252

mitch5252 New Member

Sep 21, 2010

It is the ORIGINAL Carryout. I don't believe I have a power inserter?
    And I don't know what you mean by "tell the HR24 that you have a Phase III dish (or less)"...

4. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I’ve heard this issue before-

Due to recent updates to equipment, if the receivers are connected to a SWM setup, they will automatically default to that same setup even if connected to a non-SWM setup.

A potential fix to that is to disconnect coax from the Sat input on the HR24, then fully boot up the receiver. Once booted up, hit Menu then satellite settings to choose your desired setup. Hopefully that option still works. Also check to see if your SD duplicates are hidden in the menu options.

5. mitch5252

mitch5252 New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    OP HERE! I figured it out! Loose connection on 2 lengths of coax! DUH!

So, what is a Phase III dish? :)

studechip likes this.
  6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Woof!
    [​IMG]
    The Phase III dish is the model that preceded the squarish AT-9 HD dish that was the first Ka/Ku dish.
    [​IMG]

The Phase III was designed to receive Ku signals from the 101W, 110W and 119W orbital slots and used the oldest DIRECTV switching technology (legacy-legacy?). The Carryout is compatible with this technology but not with the WB68 or SWiM schemes of the Ka/Ku era.