1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiping out a virus

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Feb 10, 2009.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I bought a mini HP laptop at Best Buy in December for $400. It fried within a month, so they let me swap it for a new one. Two or three days later, the new one contracted a virus. Best Buy said their warranty does not cover that and that they want $200 to remove it.

I have stored nothing on that computer. Can I just wipe the hard drive clean myself, "reformat it" (which I don't know how to do), and then reinstall the, "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for Ultra Low Cost PSs SP3" from the CD ROM bearing that name that came with it?

BTW, the mini HP doesn't have a CD drive, but I have another laptop that does.

2. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    The easiest way is using a USB external CD or DVD drive. It is by far your easiest option.

You could put XP on a bootable USB drive, but that would require you having a separate copy of XP and slip streaming drivers into the install package. If that option is something you care to try, just post about it. There are plenty of good walkthrus online on how to do so.

3. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Which virus does it have?

Try downloading a free virus scanner (I like Microsoft One Care Live's free scanner or ESET's).

4. deltafowler

deltafowler Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Aug 28, 2007
    The computer comes with a hidden restore partition on the hard drive.
    Since you have no files to be saved, simply invoke the recovery menu and restore the image to the original factory condition.

Your manual should explain how to do this, but on HP's it's usually brought up by pressing F10 while the computer is booting (between POST and Windows loading).

Here's HP's page on the subject. Link

If it's Vista, you may need to press F8 and then choose "Repair My Computer".

/edit.... see additional information below regarding HP Mini's.

5. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    AVG free is a good choice too. Worth a shot.

6. deltafowler

Aug 28, 2007
    The mini comps may not have a restore image.
    You can download the utility here, but I'm not sure if you can get the images from HP.
    Link

You can call them and inquire.
    You'll also need to 2 GB USB flash drive.

The best virus removal for this situation would be AVAST!
    Download, install and update. Then it run a boot-time scan.
    I also recommend running a scan with Malwarebytes.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree with Mr. Fowler that Malwarebytes is an excellent tool for this situation. I don't use AVAST! but I have heard good things about it.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The free versions of most scanners and AV programs will not *clean* an infected PC; they will only prevent infections, meaning you had to be running them in the first place. You usually need to pay for the version that will clean an existing infection.

9. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    AVG will scan for, and clean, infections.

10. deltafowler

Aug 28, 2007
    As will Avast and Malwarebytes. (Both free)
    Sorry, IIP, but you're just wrong on that one.

11. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    Would either of these be equivelent to what I lost a month or so ago. Verizon stopped providing their customers with virus\firewall protection for free. Any firewall suggestions?

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    For eradication of existing vermin, Trend Micro's Housecall runs in a browser (ActiveX or Java engines) and will try to kill what it finds.

I don't recommend Trend's products otherwise. I recently was violated by a nasty rootkit almost immediately after installing their Internet Security product demo.

13. deltafowler

Aug 28, 2007
    If you have a cable or DSL modem, you already have a firewall.
    NAT is simple and effective.
    Add OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 &
    208.67.220.220) and the Windows firewall and you're good to go!

14. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    I vote for a clean re-install. We normally spend around 45 minutes or more disinfecting a computer Since we have our user's files on a file server, we decided it's easier to re-install everything from scratch because it takes roughly the same amount time, and you're pretty confident the system is clean afterward.

15. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Personal note, I've used avast! for years with no problems.

Just pray you do NOT have a rootkit. If you do, you are going to have a very hard time getting it out.

If you are unable to get into the OS or the virus prevents you from installing a AV program you can always try the Avira AntiVir Rescue System bootable CD.

http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

Of course, DEBUG, FDISK, Format, reload solves 100% of virus problems. If you cannot get it off your system that may be your only solution.

16. Cmnore

Cmnore Godfather

Sep 22, 2008
    I've used Avast! for a few years now(only simple solution for WinXPProx64) and I highly recommend it.

17. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    Can AVG and Ad-Aware eventually co-exist on the same computer? I was trying to install AVG and I was getting an error. I found out that what I needed to do to get rid of the error was uninstall Ad Aware. Will NOW re-installing Ad Aware negate AVG's effective ability to run?

18. deltafowler

Aug 28, 2007
    They can co-exist, but you'd probably want to disable Adaware's pro-active scanning and just run it when you have an issue.
    Malwarebytes is infinitely better than Adaware, IMO.

19. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree with Mr. Fowler. I was an ad-aware fan for many years but Malwarebytes has eclipsed it.