1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wired CCK Not Orderable from DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mjwagner, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1 of 30
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    On the DirecTV website it looks like you can order the wireless CCK without a truck roll but not the wired CCK? Seems to me that a wired CCK is easier for the avereage person to install than a wireless CCK. I was considering switching to supported WHDVR mode from unsupported (have been runnning fine over my wired home network since just after the beta ended). However, since all my equipment, both DirecTV and home network, is in a single wiring closet I don't need or want the wireless CCK just the wired CCK. All my equipment has been self installed except for the dish on the roof. The last thing I want is for some tech to have to come into my house and touch my wiring setup. What is DirecTV's thinking on this?

2. Jan 3, 2012 #2 of 30
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #3 of 30
    David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    If you don't mind ebay, you can get the wired CCK for around $20. Just search for BB DECA.

4. Jan 3, 2012 #4 of 30
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
  5. Jan 3, 2012 #5 of 30
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Yes, I had seen them on ebay and that is most likely the route I will eventually take. I was trying to understand why DirecTV itself was only offering the wirless CCK for the self install option. Seems odd to me.

6. Jan 3, 2012 #6 of 30
    David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The wireless CCK can be installed inline at any receiver location (assumes SWiM). So it is truly capable of being self-installed.

The wired CCK needs its own port on a splitter. To install it at any receiver location, one might need a 2-way splitter and extra coax.

7. Jan 3, 2012 #7 of 30
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    The wireless does either wired or wireless and does NOT require its own splitter splitter port to implement. It's in line design makes for an install anywhere deployment without the potential of having to add other pieces to deploy.

While the wired one requires some planning and possibly an extra bit of stems and pieces to implement.

I'll replace my wired one with a wired implementation of the wireless CCK at some point but right now its all working so...

Don "gotta run Double Jeopardy is on" Bolton

8. Jan 3, 2012 #8 of 30
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off and/or disable the wireless radio portion thru the settings interface?

9. Jan 3, 2012 #9 of 30
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not through the settings, "but" you don't need to turn it on in the first place, if you're going wired.

10. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    So if you connect it "wired" the wireless radio does not turn on?

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It stays in "listen mode".

12. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Found out from another thread that you can turn the wireless section off thru the configuration GUI.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Which is the same as not turning it on. :lol:

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
  15. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    I'm not quite sure if this is necessarily true. I was able to order two of the wireless CCK from the DirecTV website (several weeks apart between orders).

Also, when logging into my account and trying to order another one (from the link above), there was no problem placing another order for the CCK. I just did not complete it though, as I had no need for another one. Nonetheless, it does seem possible to order more, if need be - Unless, of course, the system has not updated and still thinks that I don't have any.

EDIT: My mistake. As I had mentioned, I ordered the Wireless CCK. If you meant to say that you cannot order additional Broadband DECA CCK's (NOT Wireless) from the website, then I have no experience in that regard.

16. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Not meaning to be argumentative but not necessarily. Having the radio on and "listening", which I believe is the default, is not the same as having the radio off. I wanted to make sure that it was possible to turn the radio off completely.
    It is all moot anyway as since there is no $ advantage to me between buying the wireless CCK from DirecTV (the only option from them) or buying the wired CCK from ebay I will just get the wired version from ebay and not have to worry about it.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    To know if there is really any difference, between being disabled and only in listening mode, one would need to open up the unit and probe the pins. I think the main point is whether it is transmitting or not, which either leaving in the listening mode or disabling will do.
    The wireless, whether used as wireless or not, does have the advantage of being connected in line to a receiver that the non wireless doesn't.

18. pjneder

pjneder New Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I've been reading this with interest, since I want access to this service. I want to summarize what I have and then what I understand and what I infer from this thread. If I have it figured out correctly, then I will know how to proceed.

My setup:
    1. I have a central wiring point in my laundry room.
    2. The cables from the dish come to a multi-switch installed in the cabinet.
    3. I use existing RG-6 to connect various rooms to the multi-switch. (no SWiM)
    4. I have 2xCat5e to each room and a switch in the closet.
    5. I run WIRED WHDVR service since the beta with no problems. (i.e. unsupported)

My understanding and inferences:
    1. The WIRELESS self-install CCK device (the one we can order from DTV) needs at least one wire from the multi-switch.
    2. The wireless CCK also has a wired ethernet connection.
    3. The wired ethernet connection can connect to your existing 10/100/1000 home network at anypoint.
    4. The CCK is configured via some interface. Is it via the DVR or web based from a PC?

Please verify my assertions or correct any mistakes. I'd really like to get the CCK, but I'd prefer to know what I'm getting.

Thanks,
    Paul

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    1. It needs a coax connection when it is part of the coax networking [DECA]. It can be used as an ethernet to wireless bridge too, without a coax connection.
    2. yes
    3. yes
    4. The receivers have a menu to set it up and there is a GUI in them for setting them up through a PC and the ethernet.

20. pjneder

pjneder New Member

Jul 9, 2009
    VOS, thanks for the reply.

I must confess to still being confused based on your comment above.

I do NOT use DECA, since I happen to have pre-existing fixed Cat5 wiring.

So, I guess I'm still not understanding how this device actually "sits" in the network. Is it going to connect to my wireless AP then serve data to the DVR via ethernet? Does it use the single ethernet port to talk to the internet and to the DVR?

Thanks!