Wireless Game Adaptor or Wireless Internet Bridge?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by edmartin, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    I'm ready to dip into the world of networking my HR20. I'm nin-ViiV. I have to go wireless because I don't have a network port near my HR20.

I'm looking at 2 Linksys products and I'm not sure which is the right one to buy. They have the Wireless-G Game Adaptor (WGA54G) and the Wireless-B Ethernet Bridge (WET11).

Which one?

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I have the WGA54G communicating with a D-Link wireless router. Works fine.

3. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks, Chris! Hopefully you won't be hearing from me tonight when I hook it up!

4. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    No problem. Myself and others will be happy to help if you have issues.

5. bigz

bigz Mentor

Dec 17, 2006
    I have the D-link DGL-3420 game adapter -- works great.

6. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    You still don't have to go wireless. I'm using the Powerline ethernet adapters and Twonky, and it works quite well. May even be faster than a wireless option also!

7. MontainBiker

MontainBiker New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Is there any advantage to puting it on the Internet? I have a spare wireless router that I plugged in to my HR20 and can just switch my laptop over to the other network to play music. I have a different router that I have networked via DSL.

8. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    No advantage to having and Internet connection to it yet. The internet connection can fail and everything that is supported with the network today, will work without the internet.

9. edmartin

edmartin Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Well, once I got beyond the dumb mistake of not entering my WEP key from my wireless router into the wireless gaming adpator setup, it worked perfectly. Up and running with multiple PC's.

The documents were a great guide. You might want to put something in there about "if your home wireless LAN is security-enabled...".

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Excellent! Great to hear.

11. bllreed

bllreed AllStar

Dec 25, 2006
    If you want to go with a media server look at Buffalo's line. They have a media
    server with built-in DVD player and a small software program that can be loaded
    on any networked PCs which will allow those PCs to stream video and audio to
    the media server and through your home theatre for display. They also have a great selection of NAS products which can be used to hold your media files. They
    can then be streamed to any PC on the network or their media server. The media
    server has built-in gigabit nic and highspeed wireless access. They can be found
    on the web, just google the name. If you insist on networking the HR20 you just need a wireless nic that will plug into a RJ45 port. You will need a PC that's VIIV capable however. If you have one there's just one dll file (IntelDH.dll) and 2 registry modifications needed to get the HR20 to see the PC. Good luck!

12. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    JavaHMO / TivoServer - But I digress....

13. uncrph90

uncrph90 AllStar

Aug 29, 2002
    I'm using a Belkin Wireless G Gaming Adapter I picked up at Walmart for $60 and it is working fine.

14. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
  15. dvrblogger

dvrblogger Icon

Jan 11, 2005
    I saw a problem in one of the xbox forums that many wireless routers don't handle the discovery process correctly for UPNP (SSDP) or may need a firmware upgrade similar to the powerline adapters. Microsoft has an FAQ for WMP11 with a list of recommended routers.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/wmconnect/faq.aspx

16. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Not true. Please research before giving advice. :nono2:

ANY PC and Mac can be a media server with the correct software. I am using a non ViiV machine and a MacBook pro with NO problems. Wireless NICs do not plug into RJ45 jacks. The OP needs a bridge or "game adapter" to connect his HR20 to the network if he insist on going wireless (as he already asked).

17. bllreed

bllreed AllStar

Dec 25, 2006
    Well excuse me but I also have a non-Viiv pc which my HR20 sees just fine, and
    will play any media files from it. It is ViiV capable but is not running ViiV software.
    There is other software that will do the same thing, true, but the poster seemed
    to prefer to go with ViiV. And yes you don't have to have an RJ45 port to connect,
    it's probably no more expensive than using the USB method.

18. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Maybe there is a disconnect between what you mean and what you are writing. There is no USB option for networking the HR-20 since the USB ports are not active. I can only assume you are talking about the Buffalo Media Server you brought up. I think the OP was trying to say non-ViiV, but misspelled the word "non" as "nin" (the I is next to the O), so I don't think he has ViiV certified machine.:rolleyes: You made the statement, "You will need a PC that's ViiV capable" and I was correcting you. My machine is AMD which can never be ViiV since it is not Intel, but with Windows Media Center and WMP11 it connects to the HR-20. You do not need a ViiV certified, or in your words "capable" PC.

However, the question he asked was which wireless device to use to connect his HR-20. Either device he listed will work fine.

One more issue I would like to clear up. The HR-20 will not play "any media files" (from your quote). It will only play music and pictures; at this time. Hopefully some day it will play video streams.

19. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    jgrade is correct. The USB plans are for the slingbox only and will not support any other device.

20. xerxes

xerxes Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    Alright, I am stumped, Ican't get the WGA54G to work for me. I am not sure if it is not working or if it is just not working with the HR20. I have tried everything and called support from linksys and they were not helpful. Here is some info:
    Belkin Wireless Router
    WGA54G Game Adapter

I also have two laptops wireless working fine.

I was using WPA security but have since tried everything including turning off all security and encryption.

I have gotten the game adapter to read connected via the web interface but I do notice that the WAN light doesn't seem to stay lit. When I plug it into the HR20 I get not connected on the internet connection. I have tried defaults and advanced settings with various ip addresses dns and gateway configs from the board so far. No luck.

Is my Game adapter defective or am I missing something here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.