Wireless Genie HDMI extender question...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Finfan61, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Finfan61

Finfan61 New Member

Oct 21, 2017
    I have a wireless Genie on our back porch and would like to get some additional distance out of it. Would it be possible to use a wireless HDMI extender between the Genie and the TV?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if this is wireless client [C41W], why not just move it to the TV ?

3. Finfan61

Finfan61 New Member

Oct 21, 2017
    I'm trying to get the TV into the adjoining yard about 100 ft away. The Genie certainly can't do that distance but I thought maybe there would be a way to basically use a long HDMI cable to move the TV without the Genie losing signal.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Search for 100 foot HDMI cables and there are lots of choices. This is just 1 of them.
    Cabernet Ultra CL2 Active Standard HDMI Cable, 100ft - Monoprice.com

5. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Chico, CA
    HS17 Genie? If so, put an additional wireless video bridge on it located close to the adjoining yard. From what I've read, HDMI runs over ~25-30 feet are flaky.

6. employee3

employee3 Legend

Aug 15, 2006
    Those Redmere cables previously linked are perfectly fine up to 100ft (used them many times at conferences). Regular HDMI cables are flaky after 20 or so feet depending on source (which puts power on the cable).

7. Finfan61

Finfan61 New Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Thanks for the input!!!

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Is there such a thing...let me visit Amazon...yup, there is. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...less+HDMI+extender,aps,288&crid=2QA8HIBKKCBYC

Expensive but the range appears to be about 150 feet. I didn't see anything about 4K but did see 1080p. Another learning experience, I wish I had a reason to try one. Thanx.

Rich

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Wireless HDMI transmits at 60 GHz so it can't go through walls at all unless yours are paper thin. Sometimes it'll work between adjacent rooms if it can utilize reflections off walls, doors, windows, etc. It is intended for in-room use, the 150 foot range would only be possible between a transmitter and receiver outdoors with no trees or fences in the way.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So what good are they? If it can't go thru walls why would anyone need one? If it's only for in-room use...who has 150' rooms? I can see how it could be used from one building to another.

Rich

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you can always make hidden window in your wall(s) and decorate it with thin plywood to create RF pathway from Tx to Rx box ;)

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I see how to make them work outside. That should be relatively easy.

Rich

13. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think the idea is you could put your computer in a corner and have just your monitor, keyboard and mouse on your desk (with bluetooth for those two) Or you have a cable/satellite outlet on one wall but want your TV on a different wall, or in the center of the room or kitchen island or whatever.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When I read "wireless HDMI" my first thought was in accordance with what you wrote above, then I saw the emphasis on range in the offerings. Thought that might make things easier for folks with outlying buildings. Then I see there's a problem with penetrating walls. Really have to wonder why the range in the offerings was so important.

I've looked at several newer and just built homes recently and most have receptacles for power and coax in the walls for wall mounts. No HDMI ports or even HDMI cables embedded in the walls. The wireless HDMI extender would be perfect for those places.

Would be nice to hear from someone who's used the extenders. I'd like to know if they work well.

Rich

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Embedding HDMI cables in the wall is a terrible idea IMHO, they don't tend to last because the connectors are soldered on, and good luck trying to pull new ones around bends with that connector attached! You can make it work if you plan ahead well (have an opening at each turn so you can 'help' those bulky connectors around the bend) but why hassle with that?

If you want HDMI runs through your walls, you should run a cat6a cable and use extenders on either end. For short-ish runs Redmere cables may be cheaper, but I wouldn't bank on them lasting as long. Twisted pair cabling would be a lot cheaper to replace and a lot more versatile.

As for wireless HDMI, I assume the range advertising is to let you know how powerful it is. I've seen them advertising up to 200 meters, which is larger than most people's property let alone their house so likely people aren't going to try to use it at that distance. That much power might get it through a couple walls where a normal 50 meter range wouldn't. I'd read Amazon reviews on whatever you buy, and pay attention to the 1 star reviews and see what they were trying to do which obviously didn't work to get that rating.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes, I do that and do recommending to everyone