Wireless genie mini temperature

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tonyc, Sep 20, 2015.

1. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    Do the genie mini (wireless) run hot , it has always been a little warm but lately its hot to the touch, have not had a picture problem yet, but i have it sitting on top of a blueray player and the top of that got real hot from the genie client.

2. gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I just got a mini a few weeks ago and was shocked that the internal temp was showing 130 degrees. I was used the the genie dvr being around 108-109 with our cabinet door always open but much higher , of course, with the cabinet door closed. but the genie mini is in an open area so I was concerned. mabey its too small to house an internal fan so i bought an inexpensive usb fan on Amazon and placed in underneath the mini. does a great job and you barely can hear it and only when you're up close to it. it does come with an on/off switch if you want to shut it off at night.

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AI-MPF80A-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G059G86/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1442849233&sr=8-10&keywords=usb+fan

I was impressed with the performance so I bought a double unit for the genie in the family room that sits inside an entertainment cabinet. it has a switch that lets you set the speed lo-med-high. but with it on low and the cabinet door shut it keeps the genie a "cool" 100 . now we can keep the door permanently closed and not worry about overheating.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    One thing to do is put a spacer under the feet of the client to give it more room for air flow between it and the BD player. That will help to keep each unit cooler.
    To check the internal temp,
    try this: Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, System Info , More System Info
    The information should be on that screen ( might have to scroll down, not sure because I do not have one of these )

4. gvc

gvc New Member

Sep 13, 2012

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Minis show a higher temp and that's normal and not really a worry. Now if the entire thing is hot to touch then it probably does need a better ventilation. But if it's well ventilated if not worry about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    its 181

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Holey Moley ! That is way too hot.
    The HDDVRs give a warning of overheating at 140° and then shut down until it cools off.
    I think you should call in and tell them the internal temp and see what they say.

2 people like this.
  8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Not that's not really a worrying reading on a client. I think the sensor is on an actual chip. Remember there is no hard drive or fan in these so the temps can be quite higher without worry.

1 person likes this.