1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless hdmi extenders (any 5.8ghz repeaters?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by 1948GG, Nov 6, 2017.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    I currently have a 2yo iogear multi-input 'long range' (200ft) hd/hdmi wireless transmitter that works fine for the service it provides, pretty straight 50-60 feet through a couple of walls/windows.

Things have improved last couple of years, iogear and others have max range units now (600+ ft) and I have another possible setup that currently has a wifi extender on the 'route' of some 100', providing the opposite side of the house from my internet router that is 5ghz, where the signal jumps across to the repeater then gets 'translated' to 2.4ghz to get extended range and signal penetration.

I'd like to do the same with the hd/hdmi video, sans any cable going across the floor (and two rooms including a dining room and kitchen) to the other side of the house where the signal would be 'broadcast'.

In all the wireless hdmi units I've looked at, none seem to include the capability to 'extend' or 'repeate' like wifi is. The 'route' the signal has to take after getting from one side of the house to the other is a 90deg turn, and going straight from my router/hdmi sources would be going through several walls rather than just a couple like my current iogear setup which is on the opposite side of the house (on the side where all my equipment is). I could run an hdmi cable but would require drilling several holes and doing a couple of snake jobs that I'd end up having to pay someone to do as my physical ability i now minimal at best.

So, has anyone tripped across a 'repeater/extender' for these 5.8ghz hdmi transmitters anywhere? The bad part about the iogear unit I currently have is the IR extension 'feature' works so poorly that I had to find a stand alone unit that would work over the distance. Hopefully any new setup would work without an additional unit, but again it's the two 'hops' that is the problem.

Anyone run into a solution? Tia

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If I would come to such kludgy solution, I would think to move the source of HDMI signal (sat DVR ?) to desired location with own coax cable from existing switch or own antenna.
    Could you draw your setup full picture ?