1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Internet to Switch

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Feb 25, 2013.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    My current setup is cable modem to wireless router, wireless router to switch, switch to devices. I am moving, and will not have wired access to a router. I have some devices that do not have built in wireless, and would have to purchase adapters for each of them. Is there anyway to collect that wireless internet signal, send it to the switch, and distribute it like it currently is?

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Sure. You can connect a switch to a wireless adapter. A Linksys WET610N would work well.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Sure.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Or put DD-WRT on a supported router (Linksys and others). It has a bridge mode that is the same as a Linksys WGA-600N or WET-610N, but it also utilizes all the LAN ports (and the WAN port if you wish since it's unused) as a switch.

Bonus: The Directv Wireless CCK can be used as a standalone bridge and it's only $30 or so from D and it's N or G.

Edit: Check the database at www.dd-wrt.com to see if your existing router can be loaded and used as a bridge.