Wireless Joey and the poor strength connecting the access point

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Joe Public, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Joe Public

Joe Public New Member

Jul 24, 2021
    I have a H3, and a Wireless Joey that suffers from low signal strength. Is it possible to disconnect the Access Point from the Hopper 3, and connect it on my wired network allowing the AP to be closer to the wireless joey.

I tried it and the signal strength is now around 40 - BUT the H3 is no longer "linked"

Anyone try and move their AP away from the Hopper and get it to work?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I don't have a wireless Joey, but I HAVE used both wired and WiFI adapters on a Joey 1's ethernet port. The big key here is that anything that is not on the satellite coax MUST be on the same IP subnet.

It is also possible that you can put that Access Point from DIsh closer to your Wireless Joey and that may help your signal strength.

3. TimeLord04

TimeLord04 New Member

Sep 5, 2021
    The TARDIS.
    My family has had DISH Network's service since February 24, 2021. We have 4 Wireless Joeys and one Hopper 3 DVR. To best facilitate the connections to/from the Joeys over the Network to communicate with the Hopper 3, we HAD to invest in the Linksys Velop MESH Network system. DISH sold us one AC2200, Tri-Band MESH Node, and two AC1300 MESH Nodes. To this, we bought 2 more AC1300 MESH Nodes. Total cost for MESH Network, $450.

With the MESH Network in place, (AC2200 became the Router Node, connected to the U-Verse NVG-599 Gateway, and ALL 4 AC1300 MESH Nodes were placed at each Wireless Joey station, connected to each Joey via Cat5), we were able to eliminate the need for ANY WAP devices. Besides, we discovered that the DISH WAPs just put out TOO much interference and cause GREAT pixelation issues on the TVs.

Also, due to our U-Verse Gateway, we had to have an HIC, (Hopper Internet Connector), installed at the Hopper 3 to maintain the Hopper's IP Address and connectivity over the Network.

I hope this helps.

[EDIT:]

IF your home is wired for Ethernet, (our home isn't), you CAN eliminate the need for the MESH Network and go Ethernet, (Cat5, Cat5-e, Cat6), for the Wireless Joey's and Hopper 3.

TimeLord04

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Guess what ? it also works using Ethernet over Powerline.

TimeLord04 likes this.