Wireless Joey Confusion

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Sonnie Parker, May 9, 2019.

1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 29, 2002
    I know I can call Dish, but then I figured you guys would know.

I ordered a Wireless Joey for our cabin, about 300ft from our house where our Hopper 3 is located. We have an Access Point at the cabin that gets pretty good signal... we can already watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc, on our SMART TV at the cabin... connected of course thru the Access Point to our Internet at the house.

So I have the Wireless Joey and was reading the setup instructions, which talks about the Wireless Joey being an Access Point... needing to connect it via Ethernet cable to the Hopper, etc. Is this simply to setup the Joey, then I can move it to the cabin... or can I simply connect it to the TV at the cabin and connect to the Hopper via the Access Point that we already have at the cabin?

Thanks!

2. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    No doubt I was confused... did not realize Dish sent me an Access Point and the Wireless Joey. Not sure how this will work with my cabin 300ft away.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If they sent both an access point and a Joey you could install their access point on your network in your cabin. Or you could use a standard Joey connected via the Ethernet jack (if you had one). I would not expect the wireless Joey to work 300 ft from its access point.

4. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    Yep... looks like the AP will connect to my router at the cabin and see the Hopper with no issues... as it sees it when it's connected to my router at the house. About to give it a try here shortly.

5. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    I took an older E4200 Linksys router, turned off DHCP, changed the IP address to something different than the router at our house, switched it to bridge mode, connected the Dish AP to it... and wireless Joey connected right on up. I had previously set it up and connected it at the house before bringing it to the cabin. All good thus far.