Wireless Joey over ethernet?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by gregtompkins, Aug 26, 2015.

1. gregtompkins

gregtompkins New Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Oregon
    Hello,

I have a garage connected with Cat5 back to my primary router/switch and I was wondering if the attached configuration would work? Or does the virtual joey wireless piece have to be connected directly at the hopper? I'm trying to avoid running another coax run to the garage since I already have Ethernet and the wireless from the house to the garage won't reach I'm sure it won't. Thank You in advance.

GT

Attached Files:

2. andrewe@DISH Network

andrewe@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jun 25, 2014
    Colorado
    Unfortunately, this configuration would not work. The Wireless Access Point would need to be connected directly to the Hopper.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Given your diagram... it appears as though you have Ethernet cable running from the Hopper location to a central location... and then another Ethernet from there to the garage... so I wonder if a CAT-5 extender to join those two cables might not serve your purpose and allow you to have the Access Point connected directly to your Hopper but located in the garage. Most people in your situation wouldn't have CAT-5 already ran between the two locations, but since you do... I'd try that. I don't remember off-hand what the length limits for reliable signal are over CAT-5, though, so I suppose that could come into play.

4. gregtompkins

gregtompkins New Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Oregon
    I see the wireless Joey itself has an Ethernet port can I plug that into my second switch?

5. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Most likely.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Whether you can or not... Dish will not support it.

Dish doesn't support any of the Joeys connected via Ethernet... and why would one even get a Wireless Joey and not use it wirelessly?

How about the CAT-5 extender I suggested earlier to join the two ends of the Ethernet runs you already have? Have you tried that?

7. Tim Croce

Tim Croce New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Tri-State area
    I'm new here, but I was successful in carrying both my Hopper/Wireless Joey and my Internet provider out to my second house, 300 ft away, over a single cat5e cable. As the Hopper and Wireless Joey (WiFiJoey) should be on a un-interrupted LAN to see each other, I created one using VLans and some simple Netgear VLan capable switches. I ran the Hopper into one VLan_100 Port 1 and my Internet into the other VLan_200 Port 4, ran them into a single cable and then broke them out again using an identical Netgear switch at the other end, Port 8 on both switches. The Ethernet Traffic between the two switches is the combined VLans and the line is now called a "trunk" line between the two switches

The WiFiJoey and Hopper can find themselves on a single Lan (or VLan) but don't appear to work with added routers or wireless routers, in between. This way, by using VLans and the right VLan switches, I was able to provide a separate dedicated "Lan" just for the Hopper/WiFiJoey. This will also work, if you wish, to add a second WiFiJoey. VLan switches and single cat5e "trunk" lines allow dedicated Lans to be routed to many locations.

I'm working on the drawings, which I'll post here. It will include a drawing of how to beam the signal (multiple VLans) further than cat5e over a wireless bridge out to a Barn renovated into a house.
    Tim C

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  8. Kobuck Justin

Kobuck Justin New Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Tim can you update your drawings to show wireless bridge? Great post
    Jd

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I think the VLANS were overkill to the remote building, but if you had the equipment and made it work - good for you.

10. Kobuck Justin

Kobuck Justin New Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Scooper, how would you get joey to remote building without vlans?

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    All I'm saying is that I think using VLANs is unneccessarily complicating this for most people. Did you even try using a flat LAN ? Straight, dumb switches should work as long as it meets the 100Bt length restrictions (185 M) .

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    scooper, you probably don't' aware of other Ethernet limitations: five segments max, only three are populated, right ? just in case if someone running more then one Ethernet switch ...

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I have my router AND 4 ethernet switches AND another router being used as a WAP in my house - all of them have clients on them. Not to mention 2 devices that do ethernet over powerline. What were you saying about maximums ? None of mine have VLAN capability and it's working just fine. There is some daisy chaining going on too - at least 2 of the switches are direct to the router.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if you'll spend just a few minutes to create simple diagram ... to better understand your wording ;)

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I suggest you do the same. Show us the maximum and illustrate what cannot be added beyond what you state as maximum.

PC to VOIP Phone to Data Switch to Core Switch to Data Switch to VOIP Phone to PC. That is six segments (assuming both data switches are connected to the same core switch and one does not have to follow a link between core switches). Are you claiming that cannot be done?

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I just did bring basic rule from that time of Ethernet standards appear ... may be it's to far to remember for some people
    as to the issue, I'm in contact with scooper do some researching ...

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Your claim, yours to prove. But I believe your error is not seeing switches. Switches start a new collision domain. So as long as Scooper (and others) are using switches your concern is unwarranted.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    switches invented to eliminate collisions, as it's happen on coax segments

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Which makes your complaint IRRELEVANT since the examples above use switches.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    may be... it come from my memory's deep shelf ... I did work with Thick and Thin Ethernet, Arcnet, etc long time ago ...