Wireless Minis

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Jnelson, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Jnelson

Jnelson Cool Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Any way to boost the signal on the bridge? Have a mini that is roughly 50 ft away and signal will not lock in.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You need to move the bridge around to find a better spot for the signal strength. Does the mini work if it's closer? Can you describe the situation?

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope, no such a thing. If you have multiple wireless minis and they are far apart from each other then you may need an additional bridge. If only one mini then you need to move the bridge closer.

With 2 minis you may still be able to work with one bridge, you may have to find a better place that fits both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Jnelson

Jnelson Cool Member

Oct 14, 2010
    The weak mini is in a seperate building. No way to move bridge closer, nor can I run coax to set up another bridge. I guess the answer will be DirecTV Now; wifi signal is great.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

5. haggis444

haggis444 Legend

Jan 20, 2004
    Why not use the "unsupported" Ethernet configuration a lot of people use with wireless bridges?

(wired) mini----coax----DECA----CAT5/6----WiFi bridge <---------------------> WiFi bridge----CAT5/6----DECA----coax----splitter/multiswitch.

Ubnt has some cheap indoor or outdoor bridges that can go miles.

I am just now coming back to DirecTV after a couple of years away, but before I left my whole network ran over Ethernet not coax. Again, it's unsupported by DirecTV but also very simple to do. WiFi bridges do not really add much complexity at all.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What wifi signal is great? Can you give us more details? And heck, while it'd be totally unsupported, I'd consider maybe mounting the wvb on the outside of the building under an eve with some sort of plexiglass around it to protect it from water. But that would get you through another wall that I'm guessing is stucco? Which causes signal issues with some freq.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I'm curious, where is your WiFi router located? If it gives you a great signal in the detached building then I would think moving the WVB to a location near your WiFi router would help. Obviously putting the WVB and WiFi routers right next to each other may cause issues, but if they are a few feet apart I would think it might work.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DIRECTV does (report) lowers the threshold on their wireless clients. So what may be consider OK on your LAN router maybe poor in the DIRECTV wireless client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk