1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless NAS

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Feb 28, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'm wondering if something like what I want even exists, and if so, I'd like some suggestions. Basically I want to get an empty drive bay that will accept a 3TB (Or maybe even more some day) SATA drive. I need it to connect to my router wirelessly over either 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz (5 Ghz probably wouldn't reach). It doesn't need to be a media server or anything like that. I just want my computer to automatically back up my hard drive to it, and keep it updated. Like to keep it in the garage, so it will need to be wireless somehow.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You can certainly put a 'gaming' adapter / bridge on the NAS - something like the WGA600N or WET-610N or a router with dd-wrt in Bridge mode.

But don't expect blazing backup speeds. Most of the consumer NAS devices aren't real fast on a wired connection.

3. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Nice. Any recommendations? I'd load it up on my computer before I put it out there, but what could I expect for backup speeds over 802.11n?
    Be REALLY cool if it would normally be shut down, but if the software on my main computer detected an update/change, it would remotely wake it up, do the update, then shut it back down!

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It's hard to say. . . your N or G speeds could be totally different from mine. I didn't have any problem with video (MRV) on wireless N.

But the NAS devices themselves have different throughput - read the reviews and pick one.

Also, Vista backup didn't support backup to a mapped drive. Unless you're using 3rd party software, be sure your OS (Win 7) supports it.

6. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Using 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. And I wouldn't be doing ANY streaming to/from it. JUST be for storage, so speed wouldn't be TOO much of an issue, as long as I was getting probably at least 20Mbps or so.

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Unless you're running a server version this won't do what you want. You'd be better off just getting a backup program and having it run whenever.

For your average home you could just get a second drive and just use ghost to back up the whole drive.