1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring explanation needed for Genie setup (non-technical answer would help)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by littlegroovy, Aug 5, 2013.

1. littlegroovy

littlegroovy New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Los Gatos, CA
    Disclaimer: I am sure this question is answered somewhere already in this forum. Sorry if it is, I looked but couldn't find a simple (non-technical) description.

My situation:

I am in the middle of a remodel of our house. The walls are open (no drywall yet) and no insulation to get in the way of wiring. I would like to have my electrician run wires from the DirecTV dish on my roof to the location where I plan to install the Genie. And, I would like to wire from the Genie to the Genie Client locations (not interested in connecting via wifi). I assume that if DirecTV were to make an install visit now, without the TVs placed where they will be when the remodel is finished, then they will tell me they would rather come back when the TVs are installed (but then it will be harder to wire with the walls closed up).

My questions:

1) What kind of wire and how many wires do I have my electrician run from my Slimline-5 dish to the location of the Genie base (to be)? (Any other DirecTV connectors/adaptors that happen right before or at the Genie box can be done by the DirecTV installer when the time comes). Let me know best case what to do -- we have the electrician and this is the best time to do it right.

2) What kind of wire do I have my electrician run from the Genie to each Genie Client location? One client is about 30 feet away from the Genie base, the other will be less than 5 feet away).

3) I plan to connect the Genie system to the Internet. Do I only connect the Genie to the Internet or do I also connect the Genie Clients to the Internet? Should I a run Cat5 wire from the Genie to each Genie Client location or run Cat5 from my router to each Genie client?

4) Lastly, my dish is a Slimline-5 (according to the Menu -> Settings & Help -> Info & Test -> More System Info). Will this dish work with Genie or will DirecTV have to replace?

5) Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks so much for your time.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I would use RG6.

The Genie requires SWM, which is one cable for each box. If you don't have it already, DirecTV will replace your current LNB on the dish (not the dish itself).

Only the Genie needs an Internet connection. Clients don't have their own Ethernet jack, they access it through coax.

1 person likes this.
  3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Establish a location for your TV/internet/telephone wiring to run to/from for the entire house. From that location, run at least one RG6 coax (solid copper core) to each room/location where you want TV service (or might ever want it in the future). I would recommend two coax. Also run one Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable to each location. If there is a possibility that a room would be rearranged in the future, run wiring to two locations on opposite walls.

From the dish, run 4 coax to the common location. Also have power available at the common location. You may or may not need all 4, but if you do they will be available.

If you will have cable service for anything (TV or internet), run an additional coax for that. You can't share a single coax for different purposes.

If you expect you will ever use an off-air antenna, run an additional coax for that. Again, I would route all wiring through the common location.

1 person likes this.
  4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It might be easier to explain it as a modern cable TV installation. Each room has at least one home run (maybe two at opposite ends/sides of large rooms) to a single place in the house. I recommend that the designated place NOT be in the attic.

They don't need to bother putting the ends on the cables as the installer will most likely replace them on the cables they end up using.

If you use cable company Internet, make a dedicated run for that.

The only major reason for running multiple CAT5e cables is if you plan on shipping HDMI around the house. These require two dedicated runs for each HDMI run. Otherwise, one per room (or again, two in larger rooms) and small Gigabit switches as necessary to break things out.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It is NOT wired like that. It is wired DIsh to a Switch of some type that feeds each Box.

The most important placement is probably the Switch as it is where all connects run.

6. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    When I installed DirecTV in 1997, the connections were totally different than what is needed today. I expected things to change over time and before I finished the basement in my house, I selected a common location for Satellite, Phone, Internet, Audio and home security to be installed. I had my electrician run 1 1/2 conduit from that location to every location in the house where I might need a TV, Internet connection or audio speakers installed. Over the years things have changed, so I was able to pull out the old cables and install new ones as needed.

I currently have 4 RG6 coax cables running from the common location to the dish on my roof and I pull whatever cables I need from the common location to the other locations in the house. This setup worked well in 1997 and it still works well with the SWIM 16 Multiswitch used today.

1 person likes this.