1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring Upgrade with DECA?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by hdAddict, Jul 15, 2010.

1. hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    OK, ordered the whole house dvr service. I will have to swap an H20 and possibly an HR20-100. My other receivers are HR 21xxs. CSR indicated I would also need my AT9 sidecar dish replaced. I also requested the CSR include in the notes that my writing is vintage 1993 (PC Net), 1996 (DTV), and the latest was 2005. All this wiring was self installed over the years using RG6 from the orange box. None of it is solid core cable.

Is it reasonable for the tech to run all new cabling to my outlets as part of the upgrade. The order did not state anything about replacing the cabling except the following (confirming order email):

"If you requested standard professional installation, a DIRECTV installer will:
    Route cable from your DIRECTV satellite dish to your TV and receiver through an exterior wall or from your basement or attic, and set up a connection to an existing phone jack within 25 feet of the receiver
    Connect one TV to each DIRECTV® Receiver
    Install a Low Noise Block (LNB) converter, if necessary
    Relocate the receiver you have now to another room, if you have already requested it "

My longest cable run is approximately 85' from the multiswitch to an HR21. This machine is usually very slow to crawling during prime time periods. Wondering if the old cabling would affect channel changes.

Thanks

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    It all depends on if the tech feels that the cable tests out OK to continue to use. One of the benefits of SWiM technology was that it would allow for more existing cable plants to be installed vs. always needing solid copper core RG-6 (which is still a good idea from the PI to the SWiM LNB or switch). If the tech took the training there are methods to test the cable to make sure that it can work reliabily to reduce the need to pull new.

As for the dish replacement, if you have less then 8 tuners in your setup you'd probably get the SWiMLNB Slimline dish. If you have more then 8 tuners then you'd get a SWiM16 switch, which could work with the sidecar but I've seen posts where techs have been told to replace the old AU-9's with the AT-9's.

3. satguy22

satguy22 Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    You get what you pay for. Why would you want a installer to replace all your wiring for $30. Would you want a new car if you only paid for a oil change?

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yes, bring it on over. I should be home all evening. Thanks! :D

I think if the tech is already out there, why not check the cable? It is kinda like that oil change comparison, they do check all the fluids and top them off for me when I get an oil change, why not check a couple trouble spots while they have all the tools there? It could be the difference between an angry customer who leaves or a very satisfied customer who feels they get a good value for their money.

5. hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    Hey everyone thanks for your reply. My question had nothing to do with getting something for free. As I recall, when D began using mpeg4 receivers (H20 was the first) the specifications indicated a solid center wire cable should be used. I purchased the H20 from D and it was installed by a tech with the same old cabling . Next was a purchased R15 and the first of my two cable runs to an outlet. Dtv never installed any wiring in my house and of the three dishes I've had, only the last one was installed by Dtv when I got the H20.

My question only pertained to the less than spec cabling used with the DECA technology. I don't want to have a two year commitment without a reasonably working whole house MRV system.

The only thing I've received free in the last 14 years from D was a few credits relating to 4 different R15 recievers within a 3 month period. They were so bad I finally disconnected it and paid (dearly) for an HR10-250!

Regards

6. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    As long as all of your cable is RG-6 you should not have problems, regardless of whether it is solid copper core or copper clad steel.

7. hdAddict

hdAddict AllStar

Jan 9, 2006
    Thanks jpitlick!

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You will be getting a SWIM install-The Cables will be tested using a Directv Swim Meter any run that does not pass will need to be replaced.

The reason is the Installer will not beable to Activate or complete your install if the wiring is not up to snuff.

The days of just throwing the install in and running are just about at the end (this) applies to HD and MRV installs. The software in the boxes will NOT acitvate if the singals are not at 89 + or better amd wiring and connecters will drop those numbers as quickly as a un-dithered dish :)