1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish Item - Edit show titles

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n3ntj, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 1, 2007 #1 of 12
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Just a suggestion I thought of today. I actually recorded a commercial that is funny and got just what I wanted (31 secs). Didn't need to record the show. The DVR shows the program's title, although what I saved is something else.

What if we had the ability/feature to edit show titles in the Playlist? Am I the only one who would use such a feature? Comments/Suggestions?

2. Jul 1, 2007 #2 of 12
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I wouldn't mind being able to edit the show titles.

I can even see a use for this in households where several people watch the same recording at different times, say dad at one time, then mom the next day, and junior some other time. They could use a title-editing option to add their initials to the recording's title to say "I watched it", so the last person knows it's safe to delete.

The only problem I can see with this is would the software still group the program by the program ID (behind the scenes guide data) or by the new program title, as edited by the user?

For example, it could be confusing if you record "The 4400", let's say, and edit the title to "Good commercial". Would the episode (with the commercial) be in a folder under a group for "The 4400", because that's the program group ID, or under a dedicated folder with your custom title?

3. Jul 1, 2007 #3 of 12
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Would love to edit the title of a show.

Have had several instances where I've recorded the end of a sporting event where the show officially ended in the guide. The title is then the title of the next show which is confusing if you save the recording forever.

Same with live music events on a talk show. Would be nice to change the title if you're going to save the recording for months.

4. Jul 1, 2007 #4 of 12
    Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    I would love to be able to EDIT the actual recording. For example, maybe I recorded an hour NEWS program because I heard of something of interest coming up during that hour. All I want to keep is say 10 minutes of that hour. I would love to be able to cut out, shorten, or edit the actual recording down to what I actually want to save for a while without using up valuable space on the whole hour or so.

5. Jul 2, 2007 #5 of 12
    uncrph90

uncrph90 AllStar

Aug 29, 2002
    Me too--I would use this a lot!

6. Jul 2, 2007 #6 of 12
    code4code5

code4code5 Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    The Dish VIP622 has this feature.

7. Jul 2, 2007 #7 of 12
    John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    This feature would really be helpful to me as well.

Currently, what I do is mark a program with the "K" (keep) icon and mark the segment I want to keep with an HR20 "bookmark". However, if I can't remember why I bookmarked the segment, I might delete the program by mistake. This has happened numerous times on late-night shows (Letterman/Leno/O'Brien/Ferguson) where a particular interview or act was worth saving and sharing, but not necessarily the entire program.

By the way, you seldom hear of the "bookmark" function on the HR20. The BOOKMARK function is one of my favorite features (after the ability to record, pause, rewind and re-play HD programming, of course!). It's great for marking the end of commercials so that someone viewing later can see that the program has already been viewed (by one spouse). It also allows (the other spouse) to FF through commercials and feel comfortable in deleting the program after viewing.

8. Jul 2, 2007 #8 of 12
    boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    It would be great for me, as "Barely Legal - Lust In The Dust" could be re-labeled "Disney World - The Top 10 Restrooms In Epcot".

BJ

9. Jul 2, 2007 #9 of 12
    MercurialIN

MercurialIN Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2006
    This is an idea I have long been interested in as well.

10. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm looking at your post, and then at your initials, and I'm trying to think of a response ... that... maintains ... a sense of ... family decorum ... here at DBSTalk ... ;)

11. boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    LOL. I'll have you know I'm a father of three and they love Disney World very much.

BJ

12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Is this something that can be added to the Wish List? Ability to edit the title of a program already recorded and saved in the PlayList.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.