Wish List for HMC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by RAD, Apr 26, 2008.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    OK, I haven't seen a thread like this so maybe it's time to start one.

I would like to see the ability to name the DVR's so we can select by name vs the serial number. My idea is to have the DVR get the name from what is specified on the D* web site.

On the client I would like to see the ability to select different audio streams, where available.

I would also like to see the client use whatever the sourcing DVR is set for on the 30slip/30skip option vs. the cleint just doing 30slip.

2. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Not sure if you are talking about the physical box or the software. I would really like to see dual monitor support added to the software.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Either, doesn't matter IMHO.

4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Fix the server disconnecting problem!!

FastFwd should back up a little bit to allow for reaction time just like when operating on the TV from the remote.

5. May 1, 2008 #5 of 11
    dvrman

dvrman Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 5, 2008
    It would be a lot easier for PC app to allow use to assign a name rather than have to integrate a connection to direct.com.

6. May 1, 2008 #6 of 11
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The STB's are already talking to D* via the network connection, but my thought was to have the name pushed to the box via the satellite data stream along with all the programming authorization.

7. May 1, 2008 #7 of 11
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My perfect-world solution to this would be to allow me to set the name on the receiver with the remote control. This name would then propagate BACK to directv.com via the network (at least take precedence or be optionally used) because with multiple receivers in the same room it's not always easy to figure out which is which.

This per-receiver set name could then be used instead of the long identifier number.

Besides, this exact same problem is going to exist when/if MRV starts up.

I like calling Tom Robertson by his name rather than by his Social Security Number .. much easier to remember :).

8. May 1, 2008 #8 of 11
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I would vote for the reverse to be true .. box to directv.com

9. May 1, 2008 #9 of 11
    jclarke9999

jclarke9999 Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    I agree with that suggestion.

10. jclarke9999

jclarke9999 Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    I'd like to see the parental controls on the STB carried over to the computer playback.

11. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    DIRECTV knows that DVRx is in my living room. When I call and have an issue with a CE, I tell them which room it's in (I'm so kidding on the CE part!).

Let's put it this way.... when I'm installing a new receiver, I tell them that I need the receiver in the x room disabled. I don't have to tell them the card number or anything like that, I put that information in my setup on their website. To me it would be easier for them to push that information to the DVRs since they already have it.

IIRC, when TiVo launched their HMO I had to log into their site to give them a name for my DVR. It was then pushed to the TiVo from their end.