Wish List

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - iPhone App (private)' started by Grentz, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    So what do you guys want to see from this?

The basic idea is here, but I am really curious how they are going to do the GUI. Maybe something with the RVU technology? Though I don't know if that works on a non-local network environment.

One thing that I think definitely should be there is a series manager of some sort. A real must IMO.

2. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Probably a spin off of DIRECTV2PC

3. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I think streaming video is great, but full control of an HR would be a huge win... including setting up recordings (and series links).

Being able to remote delete a show that was watched on my iPhone is a great idea.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    A version for iPhone and one for iPad. . . Netflix and the ABC / CBS . . . playbacks look great on the iPad.

So would my HR recordings!

5. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    If it was for the iPad, I could see RVU. For the iPhone I'm not sure you can really scale the screen... but you know what... we'll find out soon!

I really doubt its RVU since in this case, you aren't looking to keep it clean and easy. You have a limited set of KNOWN devices to work with - and you want minimal overhead/extra traffic. So IMO it'll be an app, with a minimal GUI to perform basic functions, and playback. :D

Still really cool though. ;)

6. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I agree with Budshark. In fact I think it needs to be delivered proprietary. The promise of working with all devices would be a stretch for sure.

Wouldn't it be nice though to just have a cleaned down h264 broadcast scalable? That would be awesome and would look great!

7. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    As long as we're dreaming, how about using voice command ala the google app? Change Channels, list, play, etc. That would make it truly slick!

8. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Let's see who gets that done first. Sling or DIRECTV.

9. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I just hope this works in landscape mode. It will be the biggest ***** from the masses if not.

10. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Backgrounding (Fast App Switching) so if a call comes in or I need to check something - it autopauses what I'm watching and automagically goes back when I flip over. :)

The remote control aspect hits one of my wish lists as well as live TV. So 2 down already.

:D

11. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Yessir, that's gonna rock. Can't wait. :)

12. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Right. If you don't have backgrounding it's going to frustrate a ton of folks (besides us).

13. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Other people? Who cares about them?? :lol:

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    If I would have known this sweet feature was coming I would have tried to grab an unlimited data plan!

Seriously, what a PITA that they dont have any unlimited option. I wish they would have kept it somewhere (like for $35 or something even).

I would probably burn through my battery like crazy though with it running all the time :p

15. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    First off, although he knew about it, naming this feature after Stuart is a bit of a stretch... :lol:

Yeah, I know about the data plan. I think that'll be the kicker. AT&T will open their network up for sure now... but ya only get 2GB.

With that said, it'll be interesting to see how much bandwidth this actually takes and how it scales to 3G. It'd be interesting if they gave us a quality vs. bandwidth setting... So Grentz can set it on low quality to save the bandwidth and the rest of us older, wiser people can stream away at high quality! :lol:

16. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Sounds like most carriers will be moving to limited plans in the future anyways. Interesting as they want us to use more and more online stuff, yet keep shrinking the data "bucket". Or maybe that is just content providers that want us to use more and more online stuff :p

17. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    With apps like this more and more carriers are going to get rid of unlimited plans, I think. They just want to make more money and apps like this really give them a hard-on!!!

18. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    I'm just wondering what time the early bird gets up in Tennessee.... its about time for us to start really building our wish list!

What about price? Think I will be a free app? Think it will require a charge on the bill or will it be included or part of MRV fee?? Inquiring minds want to know while we wait for Greg to wash the sleepies out of his eyes... :lol:

19. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Guess I will have to wait to test till I get home, off to work for me!

20. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Can apps use voice control? I've only ever seen the basic dial and iPod controls use voice on iPhone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.