1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With DirecTV, how do you sign a phone contract?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Carl Spock, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 1, 2008 #1 of 14
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    This came up in another thread. I'd like to know the answer.

If someone reaches an agreement with DirecTV over the phone for a new receiver, how is that contract signed? Assuming the receiver is owner installed - it's just a swap-out under this scenario - how does DirecTV have the customer sign the new contact or its extension?

2. Jan 1, 2008 #2 of 14
    HersheyBud

HersheyBud Cool Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I upgraded last August over the phone. A week or two later I received the "Extension Agreement" in the mail. It stated something like if you do not agree to contact DirecTV, otherwise they assume you DO agree without actually signing anything. A DirecTV installer upgraded the dish and brought a new HR700 with him. I guess if someone would not agree to the extension, the installer would become Repo man and confiscate the receiver. At the time I thought it a bit unusual the Customer Rep did not even mention anything about the renewed 2 year commitment...yet I wasn't surprised when it came in the mail.

3. Jan 1, 2008 #3 of 14
    mopzo

mopzo Legend

Jun 15, 2007
    Verbal agreement over the phone is the same as signing a contract. When I placed the order for my upgrade, DTV stated this portion of the conversation was recorded for contract purposes.

4. Jan 1, 2008 #4 of 14
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's no different than if a phone company calls you to switch long distance plans .... your verbal commitment over the phone is legally binding.

5. Jan 1, 2008 #5 of 14
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I was more interested in the mechanics. So far we have two ways, one by mail and another by a recording.

I'd imagine all of those conversations with a CSR are recorded, or at least could be.

6. Jan 1, 2008 #6 of 14
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I think the recording of every conversation does occur and can be retrieved if neccessary (I've read advice on here to note who you talked to, badge # and time/date of conversation so they can retrieve it if needed, plus I worked at a place with a call center and we sometimes needed to retrieve conversations when customers felt their wishes were not carried out correctly).

Everytime I have gotten new equipment either as new purchses or replacements for broken receivers, I have received a copy of the terms & conditions by snail mail as well. It contains the standard-type language such as "continued use of our equipment and reception of our signal will indicate acceptance of these terms...".

If I remember right, CSRs have also read some standard language scripted what-have-you about lease terms, etc. I say 'if I remember correctly' because I am so familiar with it all from past experience and being on DBSTalk that I really don't listen too closely other than knowing "here we go again with the required language".

7. Jan 2, 2008 #7 of 14
    jkast

jkast Cool Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Isn't it an interesting cultural footnote that over the past 70 or so years that the meaning of "agreement" and "contract" have shifted so much to a written and signed document. It used to be that one simply had witnesses to an agreement and the documentation was viewed as a record that was most likely incomplete and perhaps inaccurate .... The intent of the parties was what counted. The document was useful in court, but not really the essence of the agreement or contract.

We certainly have gone downhill....

8. Jan 2, 2008 #8 of 14
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There have always been verbal contracts... even before there were written ones. Sure there's the idea that you can sign something and it protects both parties but verbal contracts, handshake contracts, and since 1997 electronic contracts are valid and enforceable.

9. Jan 2, 2008 #9 of 14
    Elephanthead

Elephanthead Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    I was under thie impression from my basic business law class that contracts that require more then 1 year to complete must be signed? Don't we have some smarty pant internet lawyers to set me straight? Not that any of this is going to keep DTV from suing you and negativly reporting on your credit reports if you don't pay the breakup fee.

10. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    I think that they use the signature from the installer order for the contract

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I've never signed a thing with DirecTV and I've been with them for 11+ years.

12. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    When you sign the original work order, you're signing the initial contract, which has a clause that says that you agree to any subcontracts made after the inital contract, such as upgrading a receiver, blah blah blah.
    I dont know the exact wording, I beleive all this is available online at directv.com as well.

13. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    BTW, they arent "contracts" they are "commitments"

14. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004

I assume you are referring to the statute of frauds, which states, among other things, that promises that by their terms cannot be completed within one year must be in writing. The writing signed however does not need to be the one that states the terms of the commitment. As other have mentioned, it could be the form the installer has you sign, the form you sign at best buy when you buy a receiver, etc, as long the writing references the commitment contract.

Additionally, parties to a contract can agree to anything that is legal. Every form I have signed with directv had a clause that allowed for all future agreements between myself and directv to be oral, thus contracting around the statute of frauds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.