1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WKBT La Crosse, WI contract up tonight

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by BosFan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Getting a bit nervous on this one with the NFL playoffs starting and most of my regular shows from CBS. Don't care about the local content, would D* give us the national feed if the local feed is pulled? I am doubting it. Not sure even if I stick a good antenna on the roof that I can pick this one up from where I'm at. :(

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They legally can't give you the national feed, unless you can get a waiver from the station. Those are very difficult to get even under good conditions.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I've seen these crawls on the screen the past week. I just can't get all worked up over this stuff anymore. It seems like there is always a last minute extension/reprieve/settlement.

At least I could receive the station OTA if nothing is settled.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Regular shows are put on CBS.com I believe, not sure if its all of them. Not ideal of course, but a work around.

I think some playoff games were streamed online last year.

5. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    My local CBS WRAL and FOX WRAZ contracts expire tonight also. The 2 stations are owned by capital broadcasting, they are going as far as giving away free antennas to Directv customers.

6. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    see, this is wrong.. you lose the network, now its a network "not offered" .. so you should IMMEDIATELY QUALIFY for the distant networks.. I mean in SECONDS.. that station is NO LONGER OFFERED.. hey tough crap for the local network.. Give the viewer the distant immediately and guess what.. there is no need for the local.

let me ask you this.. would you rather watch the news from the 115th ranked location or from the number one ranked location.. and which one do you believe has better announcers? and I was friends with one of the previous channel 8 announcers..

7. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    also and you can ask Carl Spock about this, depending upon where you live in our area, you may or may not get one station, two stations, 10 stations or no stations OTA.. we are surrounded by bluffs.. and Channel 8 does nothing to service its viewers. they could easily put repeaters in at least one other location so that the whole coulee region was served.. They choose not to do so.. at this time, I don't even know if they broadcast in stereo.. WHY? they don't want to spend a dime, giving the viewers what they should have from a local affiliate.. what would serve them well, would be that some other station comes in and takes away the CBS affilation from them.. it would serve them justly.. I know that they were going to put in for not having to broadcast in HD because they didn't want to upgrade their equipment.. so trust me I dont weep for "Channel 8".. they aren't trying very hard to meet the needs of the coulee region.. and like it or not, Carl Spock knows that I am telling the truth..

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I do believe you have to prove you cannot get it OTA. Those who actually do get it granted are very careful not to do anything that might cause them to lose that waiver.

9. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    trust me CHannel 8 paid for MY test.. and the number was so low, that even the guy from the local tv shop who did the test , couldn't believe the number.. and I was immediately granted waivers.. and trust me I am not alone.. again, channel 8 doesn't care that you can't receive their signal. this has been a cable town before cable was anything anyplace else.. meaning you had to have cable to get even the local channels.. we live in bluff country.. its as unique as anyplace in the United States.. trust me it is.. very pretty.. but sucks for tv signals.. especially with cheaply run stations..

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    WRAL and WRAZ prove that it's not too late.

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    WKBT-TV is on the air in La Crosse this morning. No crawl. No explanation.

And bjlc was right. Given the geography, it's very possible to be blocked from receiving stations here even though they are only a few miles away. WKBT's tower is well out of town but the media market is goofy. It's long and skinny. I was able to get the HD national feed for Fox and ABC through DirecTV before our locals were available as LiL insertions, even though the towers were about 10 miles away, because even with the best roof top antenna, there was too much solid rock in the way.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They did sign a deal yesterday.

13. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Well I'm sure folks in that area will like that good news. :)

It's sad that those kinds of contract negotiations have to go down to the wire almost every time these days.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Actually, looks like it was with time to spare. I had looked at their twitter account, not Facebook. The deal was reached by 3:30. But would be nice for these to be resolved without the tickers and such. Many are, but too many are not.

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree....they should be settled with months to spare.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Ironic, considering what is happening in Washington right now....

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Seems to be standard operating procedure for anything that matters huh? :eek2:;)

18. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Even things that don't.

Always was amazed at how every NFL team took every second before making their draft picks.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ....only to make the wrong choice anyway most of the time. :D

Now if we can only get the channel providers to understand the general public is fed up with the price-gouging of their content....

20. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    Happy they reached a deal, hadn't thought of checking the twitter feed. Personally I felt like calling the station just to tell them to take D*'s offer rather than to back them up just because of the stupid crawl, but whatever. I was ready to head to CBS.com for the shows, as stated above not ideal, but they don't keep them up for long. At least if they ever get to this point with WEAU, WEUX or WQOW I can easily get those OTA, heck I can see the WQOW transmitter from my house! :)