WNBA Blackouts on RSNs -- are you serious?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by milton, Jun 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jun 9, 2014 #1 of 12
    milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I have the Sports Pack on Directv and was flipping through the other day and saw that WNBA games are subject to blackouts. I don't think I've watched a combined 5 minutes of WNBA action since it began, but it seems kind of stupid for a league that needs to grow and which offers no out-of-market TV package to have such a restrictive blackout policy.

So I googled this issue, and it turns out that the head coach of one of the WNBA teams has experienced this problem.

From http://www.theday.com/article/20130612/SPORT01/306129949 :

Turns out it's not just Joe Average Customer that's vexed. Mystics coach Mike Thibault has spoken to the league office on the matter. Thibault hasn't been able to record a single game on DirecTV for scouting purposes this season because of blackout restrictions. Except that greater Washington, DC crosses into no other WNBA market, thus making blackout rules irrelevant.

Or not.

The WNBA offers "Live Access," an ability to watch all games on the computer (when it's actually working). But as Levin writes, "I didn't want to watch the game on an IPad or computer when I have a 60-inch TV."

2. Jun 9, 2014 #2 of 12
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    some teams make have deals with the local cable system to show games and likely as part of that deal black outs must be in force.

3. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Phoenix Metro
    Actually that isn't the case here. The rules regarding the WNBA are the same as those for the NBA. The out of market package however is only available online. WNBA owns exclusive out of market rights to the league.

4. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Terrible decision. I have also noticed that the WNBA games are blacked out, except the national games. Even the games on my local RSNs are blacked out, and no WNBA team is viewable on RSNs here, that I have seen. The most WNBA I have ever watched is when I flip to a channel and it's on and the game is in the corner of the guide while I find something else. But that's just me, surely SOMEONE would be turned onto the league if they were able to watch their games.

5. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Wow, you'd think a league such as the WNBA would want to attract viewers. Pretty funny in how ridiculous this is..

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Dumb!

7. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Phoenix Metro
    Wnba team viewing areas are smaller than their NBA equivalents in most cases.

8. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    So why not just run an hdmi cable from your computer to your big screen tv? Thats how isurf the internet,plus i run it through my av receiver for surround sound !

9. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    some games are shown on nba.tv. in the past a few games were available live on an rsn. until this season, you could watch games on your computer and mobile device for nothing. now its $15.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Now that's really silly.

11. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    That never looks as good as "Real" TV. Sure, it's not bad, but that's stupid when the games are already on D*.

12. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The only reason why they're on D* is because D* carries most of the RSNs to provide them locally, it doesn't mean DirecTV has permission to provide all the programming on them nationally. On cable they don't carry all the RSNs, Fox College Sports provides regional programming from various FSN stations that can be cleared nationally while YES, NESN and TWC Sportsnet have their own national gameless feeds and Sports iNDemand handles the out of market pro sports packages.

Since the WNBA is now charging for an online package, DirecTV cannot provide them unless the WNBA creates their own version of League Pass. If you want to show them that there's interest in an out of market WNBA package, show your support for the product and get what's available.