Won't Let Me Out Of Contract (Nexstar Dispute)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mr. Bungle, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I called DTV and asked about my cancellation options. I'm in a market where Nexstar owns 2 networks, and football is coming up soon. LCC is not compatible with my Genie 2. After all of this they said I was in contract still and I couldn't get out of it unless I pay them an exorbitant cancellation fee. Just thought I would let everyone know.

2. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Well, unfortunately DirecTV is correct here. How much longer do you have on your contract? Compare the ETF (early termination fee) vs. the monthly you'll pay over the course of the contract. If the ETF is less, then I'd pay that. If it isn't, then you're kind of stuck.

syphix, SamC and Rich like this.
  3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Yeh. Unless you signed the contract again yesterday. Pay the 20 bucks a month and move on

4. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Cordova, TN
    Can they maybe swap your genie for one that is compatible with the LCC? Or at the very least I'd suggest buying an antenna and hook it to your TV. I know it isn't the same but if you can get the signal you'll be able to watch the channels you're missing.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

5. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Cool Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I'm going to be trying the antenna route. One thing that I found interesting is that they said I had 22 months left on my contract. I was under the assumption that when I got the "free" upgrade a year or so ago it was a 2 year contract. Now, they recently had to come out and replace faulty equipment. Do you think they re-started my time on the contract when that happened? When I had to have the faulty equipment replaced the last time, they wouldn't give me the previous version of the Genie. They wanted to charge me about $200 for tht one. And now they want $440 dollars for an early termination fee. Not something I can afford.

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Replacing faulty equipment does not start a new dcontract, only an upgrade does. Unfortunately many CSRs don't know that, or prefer to ignore it

7. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Sounds like he wanted the same Genie but they were going to charge him $200 for it so that talked him into a free upgrade and hit him with a new commitment. You have to watch every move they make and double and triple check everything after the fact. Not that they are liars or anything...no wait. They are LIARS!

grover517, HGuardian and Rich like this.
  8. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Looks like you will have to live up to your contract.

9. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Check with your local cable provider. Many have offers to pay your ETF.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I won’t be surprised when nextstar comes to an agreement the day before regular season NFL starts.

B. Shoe likes this.
  11. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Directv gave me a $300 Visa card to leave Dish.
    Bet Dish would give your $300 to leave Directv.
    Cable here gives you $200
    There are always options, just got to ask.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH isn't normally that giving ... but it is cheap to ask.

13. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Also realize that changing TV providers won't help. All of them go through this BS.

AngryManMLS, gio12 and syphix like this.
  14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    It’ll certainly help him short term, for the football season, which is what he was concerned about. At this point, the TV providers are basically a commodity and as a customer (was in not for ST) I’d be looking to switch and save every chance I got.

15. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Yeah, it's still a pretty common practice that is gradually going away and I think in a couple years, most if not all providers, including AT&T/D* will have to start moving away from that sort of ETF/commitment business model. OTT providers embraced it from the start, mobile service providers ditched it a few years ago and so it's only logical to assume that as more and more major players stand up OTT offerings without such things as ETF's or commitments for service, its just going to get more and more difficult for the old school holdouts like AT&T/D* to keep those things around if they want to stay competitive.

Comcast, at least in my area, is an example on how at least one "traditional" video provider is starting to evolve away from such policies. Comcast, as they lose traditional video subscribers to streaming, now offer the choice of paying an extra 10.00 a month if you want to still subscribe to their traditional "cable" service but avoid their 1 or 2 year commitments and ETF's.

16. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    DISH is always sending me a promo that includes a $300 Visa Gift Card and 2 year locked in prices.

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You must be special!