1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Workarounds for lost or missing functionality with Genie upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by levinjb, Nov 23, 2018.

1. levinjb

levinjb New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Southeastern...
    I just got upgraded from an HR23 / HR24 / H21 setup to an HR44 plus two C51s, with new RC73 remotes. The old systems hadn't had new software since January and were achingly slow, so I finally bit the bullet and got my free upgrade. Aside from my finger memory for the buttons on the remote being very confused, I am having trouble figuring out how to do some things I liked to do with my old system; if there is a way to accomplish the same thing, I would love to hear.
    • No stop button: I like to hit stop when I'm done and get the info screen back. Right now I have to hit a channel or the 'back' button which just seems wrong.
    • No play button: I like to see the time display for the current program or recording, for which I could just use the play button before. The new play button is really the pause button in disguise, mostly, so I can't get that display without actually pausing (or fast forwarding).
    • SLIP 30 vs SKIP 30 mode: A long time ago I knew how to switch these (a special search), but for years I have only used the skip mode. My new setup does the slip mode, and while I like how it displays the time being slipped, I'd rather have the faster skip function. Is it gone forever?
    • Yellow button on recording list display: I no longer can find a way to delete groups of recordings using the "mark for deletion" function; I have to delete one recording or folder at a time. Also I can't sort the list as 'oldest first' any more. (I did find out the yellow button equivalent for the guide display - that's ok.)
    • Separate power off for the receiver / client alone, without disturbing the TV or anything else.
    Now it turns out that with my ancient old big remote, I can still use TV mode to access the TV's functions, I can use the separate power on/off button, and I can use the play and stop buttons the way I always used to. So is there any way I can get some of this functionality back on the new remote, or do I have to keep the old remote available and running?
    (BTW, if there is a FAQ with all this information I apologize for not having seen it and feel free just to point me at it. Thanks.)

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Do a search for 30SKIP and it will change to that function in place of the 30SLIP.

For the other matters I think you are out of luck. I do not have the new equipment so I can't say what I typed for certain.

levinjb likes this.
  3. levinjb

levinjb New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Southeastern...
    Thanks. Probably a memory "slip" - since I already tried searches for SKIP and SKIP30 to no effect :nomouth:

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You can use older remotes like the RC64 or similar with an HR44. The HR44 always responds to IR, RF should be what the RC73 is using but could be IR. Even if the RC73 is set to RF, the HR44 will respond to IR commands.

Therefore you can use a RC64/65 or older and have separate power commands via it's buttons for other devices, just like you used to.

I am going from memory too on this one, the RC6x will allow you to see how much time is remaining on a recording without pausing it like the RC73. Just press Play button. For my HR44 I use a Harmony type remote in IR to keep these old functions.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You put in 30SKIP and hit the red button on the screen. You don't immediately see anything. You should have the 30 second skip at that point.

Rich

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, you need to put the remote in IR rather than RF. You can do that thru the Settings menu.

All your other complaints about the peanut remotes are spot on. Nothing we can do about that. Use the old remote in IR and you'll have most functions back.

Rich

levinjb likes this.
  7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    An old remote he would need to. But not the box. It takes IR and RF at the same time.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Context Inky, read the whole post. That's why I highlight sentences.

Rich

9. levinjb

levinjb New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Southeastern...
    Well, as Jimmie57 reminded me, it's 30SKIP, not SKIP30, and it worked! Thanks Jimmie

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. levinjb

levinjb New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Southeastern...
    Thanks. The installer set it up using RF, but I already discovered (by picking up the old remote) that IR was also good. So I can have most of the functionality I want if I keep the old remote running (it's falling apart after years of (ab)use). It's a shame they decided to get rid of the play and stop buttons, and of course everything's now in the wrong place for my fingers on the RC73. Sigh.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The RC66 remotes are very cheap on Ebay.

levinjb likes this.
  12. levinjb

levinjb New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Southeastern...
    One more thing about missing functionality on the RC73, not the Genie receiver:
    Without a play button on the remote, can you invoke slow motion, and if so, how?
    Answer: You can. If you hold down the play/pause button, first it pauses. Then it plays. Then it goes into slow motion. You just have to keep holding the button and don't give up.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just changed the post, sorry.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup. Not a well thought out remote.

Rich

levinjb likes this.
  15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I'd strongly recommend putting the old remotes in the closet. The new remotes are fine, and once you have spent time with them, they are quite easy to use even in the dark. RF means you can point them anywhere.

To delete a show I FF to the end, choose Delete, and I am done.

16. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I agree with laxguy. I quite like the new remotes, and my old ones are quite literally sitting in the closet.

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Same here. When the RC71 remote first came out I didn't like it but the more I used it the more it grew it me. Now I have 5 of them (RC71, RC71B, RC71L, RC72 and RC73). They're all I use. Only my wife uses the older RC65 remotes.

18. levinjb

levinjb New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Southeastern...
    I just ordered a pair of new RC66s to replace the fallen apart breaking old RC64 and RC23 for under $10 each. I know several ways to delete a recording; I just can't do a batch at a time like I could with the old "mark to delete" function*. The hack to stop playing seems to be to just hit the "previous" button :confounded:. I still can't turn off just the receiver if I want to keep the TV and home theater on to watch a disk or the Roku. And I can't just hit play to see where I am in a show or recording without pausing.

In the bedroom I also like being able to power the TV and DTV box separately. Also, not having a TV remote any more, the DTV remote has been useful in its place so I can access the TV's menu (mainly for the sleep timer) and input list - I don't know how else to switch the TV from DTV to DVD player. So much as I really like the RF remote interface, and I'll probably keep the RC73s around for that, I still need the old remotes -- unless a better option comes along.

/JBL

*I know, this is not a lack in the remote, for a change, but rather the new Genie GUI that removed the useful yellow button functions in the list display; I also can't display the list oldest-first.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I keep trying to show some love for the new remotes. I don't use an old remote when I use my 44. I have gotten used to holding the remote with two hands when watching a football game so I can use the Exit button and the Skip button to go back and forth. The Exit button is too far away from the Skip button and a two handed grip works better than searching blindly for buttons. I need the Exit button to shut down the Black Shroud after a click so I can see the bottom quarter of my screen. Between the remote and the Progress Bar...well, I usually give up on the games on that set and go downstairs and watch the games on a plasma and a 24. The 24 has a remote that is one of the best I've ever used for anything and the Black Shroud doesn't exist on it.

Yup, because of the "UPGRADE" to a 44, I can't watch a game without being annoyed on the set I really want to use. Circle the wagons, folks. Tell me how wrong I am.

I don't have any problems with the remote or the shroud when I'm watching normal shows...but I only have D* because of sports. These issues could be fixed.

Rich

ticmxman likes this.
  20. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Hold down the ENTER button to bring up the input list to switch to another input.

levinjb likes this.