1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working on Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, May 27, 2013.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    The Memorial Day holiday is when may of us either honor those who have sacrificed so that we may enjoy our freedom, and it's also the kickoff of summer. However, some of us put our paws in the air and said, "Sure, I'll take a bit more overtime.", while others just got told "You're working!". At least my job isn't one of the Top 10 Worst Jobs to Work at on Memorial Day
    . How about you? Did you have to work on Memorial Day?

2. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    working harder than if I did go to work.. too many projects at home.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Yes - worked my usual hours - 6 AM 3PM, with an hour for lunch. SHould get at least 1.5 time (company holiday) - probably double time.

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Didn't have to work today. Off tomorrow too.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I volunteered to work today, so it's holiday + overtime pay.

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'm Mr. Mom today, does that qualify?

Mrs. Fluffybear on the other hand works most holidays and earns double time.

7. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    That's sweet! My employer is closed for the holiday so option to work OT.
    Mrs. Fluffybear though earns double time for today. Had she volunteered for morning OT, she would only have earned 1.5 OT pay as her agency doesn't allow double dipping (holiday + OT)

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wonder if job 11 on that reporter's list is writing articles for holidays?

Anyone who is forced to work on a holiday is probably not going to be happy about it. But the jobs listed that could be considered duties. For example, a lifeguard who (according to the article) has to watch a beach full of people who don't know how to swim would feel worse about his day if he were home cooking out with his family and reading about deaths in the next day's paper. Deaths he might have been able to prevent.

The mention of police officers was practically an insult ... they do more than "roam the streets giving tickets to everyone". I'd agree that this would be a bad day to work due to intoxicated drivers, the extra holiday rush this evening as people get from party/get together back to work tomorrow and especially the accidents they have to deal with. But not being the biggest fans of police in a memorial day article is offensive.

Thanks to anyone who worked this holiday.

(BTW: Had I worked it would have been regular pay. Taking the day off comes out of my vacation pay.)

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We were off today, but there's no such thing as OT or holiday pay for me. Pulled an all nighter last Sunday then normal schedule that week. Nature of the job, but forunately rare.

10. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    I was off today, but years ago I did not have an option on weather to work or not. No HolidayPay, .
    Just work and be Happy..

My Job ? United States Air Force.. Sometimes I was overseas in places like Saudi Arabia, or Turkey.. Garden Spots..
    :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

11. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    I did have to work the previous 8 days in a row but I was lucky enough to actually have today off. I will have to work on the 4th of July though, I get every other holiday off.

12. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    People who work in broadcasting do not get holidays off, unless they are management or sales. Which makes it a holiday for those of us working that day!

13. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    i'm off the whole week

14. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Oddly, I always tend to accomplish more when 'management' is out of the office (& house ;) )

15. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    Had to work, normal hours and normal pay.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If the "talent" can stop breaking things for an extra day the engineers might get a break. :)

But yes, those who produce a show or appear on it generally have to work. Although at some stations the "second string" will fill in - which means more for the blooper tape. :D

17. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Couldn't help reading the kinds of articles that show up at times like these.. Like how the United States is the only industrialized nation that doesn't require holiday pay or vacation pay.

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We're the only industrialized nation that ... isn't civilized by the standards of all the other industrialized nations. I use the term "civilized" in its classical context meaning not barbarians and savages, [​IMG]