Working with older DVD / VHS equipment and newer TV

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Tedder, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Tedder

Tedder New Member

Mar 25, 2020
    I was asked to help the neighbors connect their new TCL TV to a DVD player and a VHS player. The TV has a cable/antenna coax connector which is currently connected to his SD Comcast Cable box for normal viewing. Now.. both the DVD and VHS units only have coax outputs along with Yellow/Red/White (video-l/r audio outputs) and the new TV has none of these but has 3 HDMI inputs available. I am sure that there is a way to convert yellow/red/white output of the DVD / VHS players to an HDMI signal/cable but not sure what converter is needed.. Never delt with old equipment before.. Is there a converter of some sort available to convert y/r/w to an HDMI output cable.(they would need 2 of them). I know that y/r/w converters to coax are readily available and I might even have one in a junk box, but then they would need a A/B/C switch to utilize the one TV Coax input.. Not sure they could remember everything needed to do using that method to watch whatever.. Just trying to help them out..

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Tell them to switch to an Hi Definition cable box then use the coax connector for their dvd and vcr.

3. Tedder

Tedder New Member

Mar 25, 2020

4. Tedder

Tedder New Member

Mar 25, 2020
    Changing their box is not an option.. I thought they had Comcast, however I found out that they utilize a Church Sponsored Satellite system.. only SD.. sorry about calling it Comcast..

5. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
  6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
  7. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I’m guessing they want the vcr per of the DVD player as much as the DVD player.

But then I’d get the blu ray too and only use the combo player for vcr tapes.