World Cup 06-usa Watching

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by frankctx, Dec 26, 2005.

1. frankctx

frankctx Cool Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Is It Only Gonna Be On Hdtv--english Language?

2. julesism

julesism Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    It's my understanding that ESPN/ABC have English + HD and Univision has Spanish :)

3. Jan 4, 2006 #3 of 15
    PBowie

PBowie Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Florida

What about any PPV ??
    I have arranged my job around Englands World cup games !

4. Jan 7, 2006 #4 of 15
    kevruth

kevruth Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    All matches are to appear on ESPN, ESPN 2 or ABC. They will broadcast all the matches in SD and HD. No PPV.

5. PBowie

PBowie Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Florida

Oh No not ESPN with that guy (whats his name ?) with the strong irish brogue
    I think id rather watch it in spanish !

6. julesism

julesism Legend

Feb 24, 2004
    Heh. I'll prolly mute the TV audio and try and get BBC 5Live audio to match up via the net ;) I'm guessing they will have audio coverage.

7. Art

Art AllStar

Sep 10, 2003
    Does anybody know if the World Cup HD coverage will be in full or widescreen mode? Makes a hell lot of a difference.

8. grassvalley

grassvalley AllStar

Apr 5, 2003

Tommy Smyth. He often teams with Derrick Rae who is very good.

9. ravinpat

ravinpat AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    How can you get the feed, for the world cup. I can't stand listening to that Irish twit! I thought BBC 5 Live only broadcast in the UK?

10. kevruth

kevruth Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    BBC Five Live will not be broadcasting over the internet outside the UK. However, TalkSport will. If you want football all day long head on over to www.talksport.net .

11. ravinpat

ravinpat AllStar

Jan 20, 2004

right but the problem with talksports is its simulated crowd noise. Is there a way to configure your router to show that your connected in the uk, even though your living in the us?

No offense to the Americans on here, but your commentary is terrible. I think the annoncers here talk about everything else but the game.

12. kevruth

kevruth Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    I once tried using proxies but the proxies slowed things down so much that my media players would spend more time buffering than playing the broadcast.

I know you don't like the U.S. announcers. I don't either with one exception, Derek Rae. I can tolerate Tommy Smith. I would think we might get some of ESPN International's broadcasters during the World Cup as they don't have enough MLS yahoos to cover the entire tournament. I remember last time my favorite team was Mike Hill and Seamus Mallon (Sp.?). Mike is no longer with ESPN and I don't know the status of Seamus.

13. ravinpat

ravinpat AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    I do remember Mike Hill he wasn't bad. Not sure who Derek Rae is, but Tommy Smith is absolutely brutal, "the onion bag" and asterlavista baby. If it was up to me I actually would pay for ppv, I know its dramatic, but watching Euro 04 with ITV and BBC commentary was brilliant.

14. kevruth

kevruth Mentor

Jan 7, 2004
    If you presently watch Champions League matches on ESPN2, he is the commentator for those matches with Tommy Smyth as his partner.

15. ravinpat

ravinpat AllStar

Jan 20, 2004

Ok now I know who Derick Rae is, and he isn't that bad.