1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Cup 4k hdr on Dish Network / Looks very bad!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bjf2007, Jun 14, 2018.

1. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Watched the World Cup day 1 Russia / Saudi Arabia match today and the 4k HDR looked very bad.

The picture was extremely washed out, way to light and even the 4k detail was nothing great. Not sure if this is Dish signal problem or them getting a bad quality feed.

I know they are using the HLG hdr standard for live hdr real time.
    So that lower hdr standard might be the problem but it's so bad the grass was all
    washed out and too light. Very dull looking.

This really is an embarrassment if this is the best 4k / hdr they could offer to fans.

The various HD channels were all fine for HD.

I expected way more from this major event and the 4k / hdr should be amazing and it is not.

Bad enough that I watched the HD version (which was highly compressed on both the broadcast fox channel and the NBC Spanish channel.) But at least the color and brightness were fine.

By comparison the Winter Olympics earlier in the year were amazing!
    The Hockey and Ice Skating looked stunning.

Would like to hear feedback from anyone else able to view the World Cup in 4k hdr.

If your picture was great on Directv, or those with the BBC streaming, or the day delayed
    Xfinity viewers. And other Dish 4k users as well.

Thanks, bjf

2. GoLongAndChopChop881

GoLongAndChopChop881 Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    IDK why the broadcast uplink from Italy also broadcasted in 4K. The picture may be a little pixelated if they're using the HD simulcast for the 4K HDR channel on Dish. A lot of cable providers like Cox, Spectrum, and Comcast XFINITY can't access 4K, unless we have Layer3 TV, the new cable and a T-Mobile company that can access 4K and a better picture quality with HEVC encoding.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    what about your TV HLG support and settings ? does it show HLG icon when you requested Info ?

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    What's the point of bold text? We can read just fine without it.

5. thptrek

thptrek Cool Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I have Directv and the 4K picture was excellent. Quick movements were clear and not blurred. The only thing was that there was no announcers. I would like some commentary to mention various players, fouls, etc.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Looked fine on DIRECTV. Trying to see if Youtube has any 4K content up on the WC, but didn't see any. There are some clips on the opening ceremony.

7. bjf2007

bjf2007 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Thanks for all the serious tech replys.

The picture on dish 4khdr for the World Cup got better day 2 and 3.

Still can at times seem flat and dim at times.
    Especially on the field.
    The color also seems off by comparison to the HD versions.

If this is going to be what 4k hdr looks like for live sports I'm mixed.
    I like the snap that regular 4k has. But in extreme contrast inside and out, hdr
    definately is nice. And soccer outside is usually in extremes. As are all field sports.

I don't have other 4k hdr sets to compare too or more costly sets with
    higher nits rating and that might help the brightness and color issues.

Costco has a 4k setup with directv so I'm going to check out a comparison
    of a match to what dish is showing.

The WC on Dish does have sports hosts commentary on every match.
    Would prefer the crowd sounds only like Directv.

Dish's guide is screwed up for the 4k channel.
    They have only listed some matches and then generic blocks
    between them. But in reality they've shown every match in 4k.

And they've have pre-match footage. Testing and setup for the picture,
    crowds arriving, team bus and players arriving, team warm up on the pitch then the match and
    post match the empty stadium with security people milling around, mowing the grass, etc.

At one point pre-match the control room was tweaking the picture in small increments of brightness.
    And they kept lightening and lightening. At one point they went past what I would have chosen.
    So two different tech teams might choose completely different exposure settings.

There is just the P.A. sound / crowd noise in these other sections.
    Or at times no audio.

So that's cool to get the extra feed footage.

There is some motion artifacts from the 50hz or signal conversion.
    When the ball is kicked to other players and is rolling you some blurring in the ball.
    And when players move fast you can see a bit a motion issues. Probably again in the conversion to
    our standard.

Didn't notice this with the Olympics from S. Korea.

I'm not sure if my 4k tv has the HLG hdr standard.
    So I'm wondering if there is a conversion of the live HLG to HDR10.

I'd read that all the WC will use the HLG real time HDR standard.

The Olympics were delayed a day 4k so they might have done it differently.
    Or not. I'd read that all of S. Korea was broadcast ready for 4k hdr and HLG before the last Winter Olympics.

My tv settings btw show hdr light or hdr dark settings.
    Light is way too washed out so I chose the hdr dark.

Lastly, looking at the WC it's not bad in day 2 and 3 but the Olympics were much better and sharper IMO.

And there is a "lot" of room for hdr improvement. Especially for live events.

To my eye 4k look good but 8k is going to be what will make sports even better.
    Especially on wide shots.

Thanks, bjf