Worst SD PQ Channel on D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by racemanva, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racemanva

racemanva AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    I have to vote for WGN SS(channel 307). Watching a Bulls game on big screen plasma is downright depressing. Can't begin to distinguish who the players are until they place a closeup shot on them shooting free throws. Got so disgusted during last nights Bulls/Cavs game that i turned D* off and went and watched the game on cable. Sure hope that when the new birds go up that WGN HD goes national.

Happy New Year :icon_band :icon_band :balloons: :balloons:

2. Jan 2, 2007 #2 of 22
    jimbo09

jimbo09 Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    TBS is also bad, and they are going to start showing regular MLB games (and the playoffs) this year.

3. Jan 2, 2007 #3 of 22
    idlehands

idlehands AllStar

Jul 14, 2006
    HBO looks pretty bad during the boxing events, but when they air the movies and tv series, it looks pretty clean.

4. Jan 2, 2007 #4 of 22
    mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    My votes go for Comedy Central, FSC, and BabyFirst TV

5. Jan 2, 2007 #5 of 22
    cybok0

cybok0 Godfather

Jan 5, 2006
    For me the worst is my local CW channel, looks like an channel with old rabbit ears.

Always fuzzy, the only channel on D* like that.Don't know why:shrug: it just does it.

6. Jan 2, 2007 #6 of 22
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I looks that bad because DTV is probably picking it up OTA and uplinking it. For one reason or another, whatever antenna or receiver they're using is not doing the job. Have you tried complaining to the chief engineer at your CW affiliate?

Just a thought.

7. Jan 2, 2007 #7 of 22
    amtrucker22

amtrucker22 DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 17, 2006
    NFL network seems bad when showing games to me. When they are in the studio it is crystal clear but when showing games my eyes start hurting from the blurring. Then again I am new to all of this and it may be me somehow. :shrug:

8. Jan 2, 2007 #8 of 22
    cybok0

cybok0 Godfather

Jan 5, 2006
    The only time I watch that channel is when the penguins are on it, other than that I just skip the channel.

The only weird thing is that when that channel was UPN it never looked that bad.

9. Jan 2, 2007 #9 of 22
    Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    Now that is odd.

10. cybok0

cybok0 Godfather

Jan 5, 2006
    Yeah it use to be really good.

11. heaphus

heaphus Legend

Oct 30, 2006
    All of my SD locals look horrible, full of compression artifacts, and seem to have gotten worse lately. Watching the Saints this past weekend, and several bowl games, was absolutely disgusting.

12. whsbuss

whsbuss Mentor

Jan 21, 2003
    Noticed this too. I watch Fox News Channel and CNBC and the compression makes the picture look terrible.

13. marlen

marlen Legend

Sep 2, 2006

You really haven't experienced "bad" until you've watched an SD NFL game on NFST on a 106" projected screen...this really needs to be addressed before the start of the 07 season...

14. Radio Enginerd

Oct 5, 2006
    106" projection screen! Where do you live, I'm IN!!!

At what inch measurement do you start referring to it in feet? :)

SD NFLST looks TERRIBLE on my 50" plasma. I can't imagine what it looks like on a screen twice that size. Even the audio sounds terribly compressed.

15. marlen

marlen Legend

Sep 2, 2006

Hey no problem - got plenty of room....as bad as the SD broadcast looks on NFST - I'm at the complete other end of the spectrum with OTA Games (especially on FOX). Their 720P broadcast of games is breathtaking here in Dallas...

16. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    TBS is the worst National channel. Locals are all very poor, especially for sports. NFL games are like watching low res internet streams. They used to be good on the Prime Time network broadcasts, but even those now show the compression blurring and macro-blocks. GSN is really bad sometimes but better others. Am also starting to notice it more on Discovery (which is unacceptable...)
    I think D* is so worried about losing subscribers to other providers due to HD, they are willing to forsake the SD customers altogether.

17. jimbo09

jimbo09 Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    The NFL Network's live games were fairly poor PQ for SD. The overall presentation looked low budget. They need to fix this before next year. Their replays and studio shows look good.

18. jasonblair

jasonblair Icon

Sep 5, 2006
    Pretty much anything on NBA League Pass is about equal to YouTube quality this season. Especially Fox Sports Indiana

19. agreer

agreer Godfather

Apr 7, 2006
    That is definatly a D* problem because FSI seems as sharp as a razor on local cable.

20. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, it is a D* problem. They are squeezing too many channels into their limited transponder space, and the compression artfacts make watching SD sports tolerable at best and painful at worst.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.