1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would anyone pay 4.99 for 4 HD channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by allenn, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    My HR21 recorded a movie on MGMHD. I selected it for viewing and got a message that it was searching for authorization. Upon further investigation, I noticed the channel 78 had a message that it was not in D* package. I called D* and they informed me that channel 74, 78, 255, and 332 starting in February would be part of a new package called HD Extra for $4.99. D* has to be nuts to think anyone would spend the money for four channels. I'm guessing that the $9.99 for my current HD package is going to go up.

When D* says they are giving you four months or six months of programming credit, how do you determine the end date?

2. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
  3. upnorth

upnorth Godfather

Jun 21, 2006
    I paid $9.99 for 9 channels all this time untill the new HD came out. I have no problem paying the $4.99 for channels I do watch heck if I just watch a couple good movies a month it pays for it and we enjoy the Smithsonian channel also.
    I look at the whole picture all the new HD channels plus the existing for $15.00
    fits my budget. I can not buy these channels any where else for that price.

4. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    The problem is they charged us the $10 for years for a few channels. When they actually delivered on the promise of more HD, they made it more expense.

Additionally, they should not have included any channels in the original package in the new incremental package (specificlly HDNET Movies and Universal HD). I can understand Smithosian and MGM as they were just added.

Just my 2 cents. No one at DTV seems to give a **** what the early adopters say.

When the government makes the local networks cut off the non digital signals, will CBS, NBC, FOX, etc be added to HD Extra Pack as there are no longer SD equivelants?!

5. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    I never really found anything all that interesting on those channels so I couldn't justify the extra $5. Others may feel differently.

6. mauijiminar

mauijiminar Godfather

Oct 11, 2007
    Yes I would pay it! I want every channel I can get

7. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Before HD was introduced, how many people paid for the HBO package at the then-price of $11 a month? How many channels were in the HBO package?

By my count:

HBO, HBO2.
    HBO West, HBO2 West.
    HBO Family, HBO Signature.
    HBO Latin.

7 HBO channels at $11/month, or $1.57/channel/month.

Now, using the count of 4 HD channels from the OP at $4.99/month, or $1.25/channel/month.

The new HD Extra package? It's a bargain!

8. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I would imagine that the HD Extra will increase the number of channels already there (not ones currently in the basic HD package and moving them), then the package per channel per month get even more reasonable.

9. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Going all digital will not mean there is no SD equiv. Digital can be SD

10. Duffycoug

Duffycoug Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    No way I'm paying the $4.99 per month for those 4 channels....there are already too many channels to watch, I don't need 4 more at a ridiculous price when you compare it against what you get for the $9.99.

11. DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    The West versions of HBO and HBO2 are just time shifted versions of the same channel so it's more like 5 HBO's, but still a bargain for most people.

12. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    I understand that.

As an example: WCBS is currentty broadcasting two stations WCBS and WCBS-DT. They have to shut down WCBS and give up the space on the spectrum if I understand it correctly. Are you saying they will still broadcast it somehwere else and DTV will still receive two separte feeds from WCBS?

13. msmith198025

Jun 28, 2007
    No, you are correct that they will shut down the analog version.
    What i think is confusing you is the fact that SD is still a part of the digital broadcast standard. Converting to digital doesnt have to mean there is no SD equiv. All of the SD content on D* and E* right now is digital already, so the conversion wont really have an effect on them.

14. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Well, the conversion to OTA digital broadcasts does have an effect on DirecTV in that they would need to convert the Local Digital Signal into an SD mpeg-2 signal for retransmission to all the SD boxes in service. But there will be no net effect on the user side.

15. msmith198025

Jun 28, 2007
    True, they are already doing that in some markets if I am not mistaken.
    However I was mainly focusing on the end user, I should have said us instead of them

16. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    And that is exactly the mentality D* is looking for! Too bad for them, I'm not falling for it.

17. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Given that I paid ~$10 for the last 4 years, for the 8 channels.

Yes, I will pay the $4.99 for the extra channels (and I will be)
    As I have enjoyed the content on MGM-HD... and Smithosonian

18. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Hummm... they COULD let you have just the original HD channels for the $9.99 like they have for years and charge you an additional $4.99 for the MPEG-4 channels. Would that make more sense to you? If you don't want the package ... don't get it.

19. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    When the HD Pack first became available, I paid $9.99 for 3 channels.

The $9.99 HD Access Pack is staying at the same price. If you want the extra channels, you have the option to pick them up for the extra price. For those who don't want SmithsonianHD, etc., they're free to refuse the package and keep their bill where it is.

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    We early Dish HD subs paid something like $8 for the Discovery HD Theatre.
    If I were a D* sub, I would pay $5 for the HD Extra Pak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.