1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would the DirecTV installer beat up the Charter guy? :)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Willet, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Willet

Willet Cool Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Just a quick question. Would it be rude to schedule both the DirecTV and Charter internet install on the same day? I'll be working on the house myself, and that would help my schedule, but don't wanna cause any interference between the two.

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I'd hope that both installers (If you want to call the Charter employee an installer:hurah:) could be professional enough to work side by side. If you already have a cable drop, the Charter fella shouldn't be there very long anyhow. To call that an installation is being very generous. lol

3. Willet

Willet Cool Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Actually, the scary (?) part is that the house is prewired for DirecTV, with the old satellites still up, however there are no cable hookups anywhere. I'm guessing the prior residents used DSL or smoke signals or something. So the sat install should be cake, however the house is about a quarter mile off the road, so we'll see how the cable guy works out. :)

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009

Knowing how charter operates in our area, He'll drag a flooded cable line across the ground from the road, then (hopefully) someday a trenching crew will come out and bury the line. It's a great way of burying cable, but I've heard horror stories about cx's having to fight with Charter to get them to come do it.

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I think the cable company will pass on a quarter mile run.

That is how these small dishes got started. Primestar Partners were cable companies who set up a small dish system so they wouldn't have to do your type job. DTV bought Primestar.

Land line phones will also cost you at that distance.

Report how it goes.

Joe

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    i dont think the techs really care

7. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    The two techs will likely get along fine, and talk about which of them is getting screwed over more by their respective company.

I never had issues with cable guys when I was on the job.

8. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    :lol: I'm glad to see that is SOP on a national level - I thought it was just our area! Actually I have a fool-proof way of getting them to bury the cable: I call and tell them that I am about to mow the grass, and they have 24 hours to bury it before I cut it to move it out of my way. It works every time!

As for installers from two different companies both being there at the same time, well, I can't see it as being an issue. Most of these guys are treated so poorly, they have no loyalty. In fact, it may be better that they are there together so they can discuss who will use what cable and they can stay out of each others work.

9. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Maybe I should try that with Comcast. My internet was intermittently going down so they sent out a tech who replaced the line from their box to the house. It seems to have fixed the issue but 2 weeks later and they still haven't come and buried the cable yet.

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    AND about the techs,
    Out in the rest of the world beyond DTV and CATV techs from different trades work together all the time. Their work must be coordinated but any example of someone intentionally making problems will not be invited back. The sheetrock guy who covers the electric boxes in invited to fix the problem.

But I did tell a MASTEC guy who had been double booked into a job I was doing he had to put on booties to come in...but first he had to get his truck out of the drive way....like mine.

Joe

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    just make them you there own cables and not try to use the other guys cable.

12. LeftWingLock

LeftWingLock New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    2 Weeks? I'm still waiting after 2 months for Mediacom to come back and bury their cable. Internet was going in and out. Tech came out and decided that the cable was being chewed on by squirrels. He didn't want to run a new drop from the pole to my house through some trees so he spliced in a short run to replace the chewed up cable and said they'd be back in a couple of days to bury a whole new run. I'm still waiting.

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    And the check is in the mail. :p

14. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    Hate to bring you the bad news, bui If you are truly a quarter mile from the nearest cable they arent going to do anything at all next visit. Cable has limits. Regular Rg6 has a limit of 150 ft and rg11 has a limit of 350-400 ft. being say 1300 ft like you are you will need whats called a plant extension to the tune of 1000s of dollars. You will need Feeder cable ran, amps and taps cut in etc. Likely the guy coming out willl just look around and tell you something like that.

15. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    So what you should do is build a small "doghouse" about 200ft from the road, run power to it, and have the cable guy run his drop to it. From there go buy a high range wireless router and set it up in the doghouse. And viola!

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    How about putting up a really big wireless router and calling yourself National Broadcasting Company if that name is not being used?

Joe

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I recently had a call from a DIRECTV installer and a verizon installer on the same day. They missed each other by minutes, and I wondered much the same thing had they met :)

18. bpaulson

bpaulson Legend

Jul 12, 2009
    I would help the directv guy beat up the charter guy :p

Actually all of the directv and charter guys I've had work on stuff have been really nice.

19. gen2rx7

gen2rx7 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    I've never had problems running into cable guys while I am doing an install. Actually it is kind of nice because I can usually get some RG59 fittings from them.

20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    I once was both. A MASTEC tech connected a DTV customer to the wrong NID. I also get work from Close Call and I was sent to fix the interference on their customer's dedicated fax line; cut, cut, cut!

Just changed hats,

Joe