Would this FCC Development Pave the Way for a TIVO Bolt on Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by GordonGekko, Jan 27, 2016.

1. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
  2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well not really. TiVo in general maybe but the bolt that's out now would never work. And I'll believe all that when I see it. Plus we are several years out for anything g to come of that if it did.

3. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    You are writing that they could not alter a few things on the Bolt to make it compatible with Directv in a few months, why not? If the FCC voted to open up access to cable and Directv, you believe it would take several years for Apple, Google, Tivo and others to make boxes that would work with those services, impossible to believe it would take more than six months to get in the game.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It doesn't matter because as you say it would take a few years for something to come of it. If the FCC ruled tomorrow in favor of consumers and made this a requirement, they'd put it out several years in the future. And then companies like Comcast and Directv would probably try to claim they need more time and request an extension.

Since the Bolt (and the Roamio and Premiere before it) are able to record IP streams, they'd probably just need a software update to be compatible. Remember they just need to interface with a 'gateway' via IP they don't need satellite tuners, those would remain within the gateway. Of course Tivo would have no reason to bring new life to old hardware when they can get you to buy new hardware, so whether it is possible on the Roamio and Premiere is irrelevant, they would never do it.

Pretty sure they'd enable this functionality in the Bolt just to claim they are first to market and insure buyers felt secure they could use cable card today, and remove the cable card and have it connect via IP to the cable gateway down the road. Otherwise no one would buy a Tivo knowing it would have a limited life (though I'm sure cable companies would be required to support cable cards for several years after the implementation date of this change to allow a smooth transition so they'd have a decent life, just not the 10+ years some people get out of their Tivos)

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Couple of important points:
    This has been in the works in this flavor for at least 5 years. I'm very glad they are making headway again. I'm not sure why it stalled (beyond the cable company lobby stalling...)
    This is something the FCC and Congress have tried and wanted for more than 20 years, with cable card. I'm really glad they continue to try. :)
    This is no surprise to the cable companies or Tivo.
    And there have been several drafts of the technical solutions in the works.

So, Tivo is probably ready with their hardware and software, merely waiting for the final rulings.
    Therefore, the Bolt could be all set hardware-wise and one update away with a few tweaks.

The other thought I have is the FCC might not extend this out too far. Normally they like to give manufacturers 18 months to 2 years--one development cycle. Yet this has been cooking in committees for at least 5 years. The FCC even had a date set at one point. So they could (though probably won't) tell manufacturers they only have one year this time.

Or tell cable companies they have to stop charging fees after a year--take as long as you want to develop boxes. :)

Peace,
    Tom

6. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    How Bolt could show up on DIRECTV: 1) FCC rules, 2) DIRECTV either updates the Genie or issues a gateway, 3) Bolt gets updated to the new specs.

Timing will be everything. Tivo might have time to create a new model after the Bolt so "Bolts" might not connect to DIRECTV, yet something definitely will. :)

Who knows, we used to be able to buy Sony VCRs--soon we might be able to buy Sony DVR/Streaming/BD devices. :)

Peace,
    Tom

7. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    As of Today right now the hardware isn't compatible. Period. New hardware from one or both would be needed depending on how they implemented it.

I do think something new is coming from
    DIRECTV that might make it easier but Im hesitant to say it'd work easily with TiVo or anyone else because they use a very specific kind of security and I'm Not sure how they'd be able to ever get that into an existing TiVo without a total rewrite or more. And TiVo sucks at doing any programming within a short time frame. Took ten what three years to do the last DIRECTV box? Don't hold your breath. ;)

So yeah it's not something that could ever happen quickly.

The best chance is what Tom said, probably DIRECTV agreeing with TiVo to let them program a genie with bolt software. But since the last time they did that it took 3 years.... That agreement is coming to an end next year I think??? So maybe there will be negotiations.

8. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Which hardware is incompatible?

Tivo's is probably compatible today. Merely one software update away.

DIRECTV's (and Dish's) are probably compatible today. Any Genie or Hopper already has a client server model built in. One update and they could serve more than Samsung TVs or mini-genies. :)

Peace,
    Tom

9. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I would suggest the same points apply to Directv and Dish, not just the cable companies. I'd be willing to bet that hardware is a cash cow for all providers (not just cable) and all providers (not just cable) would be against something like this.

10. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    You are absolutely right. Sorry, I was sloppier than normal with my terminology. By "cable" I really meant all MVPDs, definitely including DIRECTV and Dish. :)

Peace,
    Tom

11. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    I'm so sick of waiting for anything.

1 person likes this.
  12. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
  13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    That proposal will never ever work as he wrote it. Never. To much fragmentation on to many things...

14. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Basically the FCC's solution is for a digital app, would watching live television via the internet really be more reliable than simply using your cable box or directv receiver? Directv just announced that most of their channels will be available live on any device but will anybody here get rid of their receivers because of that option?

15. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You can only watch everything if you have a Genie with Mobile DVR, which takes up a tuner, otherwise you're limited to just what they have the streaming rights to.

16. pjs344

pjs344 New Member

May 21, 2014
    Idaho
    This would be a big deal and pay day for Cable and Sat receiver/DVR manufacturers. They have has 5 year+ to get these recovers engineered and tested. There just waiting for the Gov to give them the go to start the assembly lines and to get them on the market asap.

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Awh, no... that's a nice dream but they don't need permission to do it. They will do it if they are forced. Otherwise they will head towards apps.

18. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    The new chairman of the FCC has cancelled this proposal, there is not going to be a forced opening of the set top box market.

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I've never thought there needed to be. Apps on tvs are cheaper and is where they will all want to go in their own. Just another showing that government regulation of tech like this doesn't work because it can't keep up with what actually makes sense to have happen.

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    For those in favor of this ruling, don't want to hear no complains how the DIRECTV receives are so slow and the GUI is so out of date. Had this ruling been kept it only would benefit customers as they would have their choice on their receiving equipment.

DIRECTV is not going go give their keys to a 3rd party developer to built on their platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk