1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy a $449 room fan?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by 1953, Apr 22, 2012.

1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Years ago we drank the cool aid and bought a revolutionary new Dyson vacuum cleaner. After about 6 months it literally did not suck and that's what vacuums are suppose to do! This hunk of junk was not repairable so that was the end of the great Dyson wonder myth for us.

Now I see Dyson is selling something they call an " Air Multiplier Tower Fan" for $499! I guess Dyson is striving to become the Bose or Monster Cable eqvilant in the vacuum and fan market.

For goodness sakes it's a fan. I bet in has a special Monster power cable and Bose proprietary technology. :hurah:

Checking it out-
    http://deals.bestbuy.com/appliances6/product/2086285/dyson++air+multiplier+tower+fan

2. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    No! No fan is worth that much and I do own a Dyson vac that has been working just fine, but only reason I got it was because it was a refurb for $180

3. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    is that a fan? where are the blades, it looks like the rings from harry potter and quittich. or something you can blow bubbles with.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  5. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    You had it right in your first post.

Dyson = Bose or Monster Cable

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That fan is old news.

The vacuum is excellent, though likely not worth the sticker price.

Blades are in the base.

I wouldn't go that far.

7. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I have been wanting one of those fans because they look kind of neat and the fact that it blows air from an empty space. The problem is the price. Just too dang expensive. They have been on sale but even the sale price is still too high. Guess I will wait for the clearance sale when the company goes belly up. :)

8. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
  9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They still aren't as bad as Monster. A Dyson vacuum probably does work better than the cheapest vacuums, a Monster HDMI Cale doesn't. Plus Dyson doesn't seem to sue everyone,

10. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We've owned our Dyson vacuum for two years. Not a single issue with it and it picks up dirt today just as good as the day we bought it (wich is super). Best vacuum we've owned and worth every penny. As with any product, everyone's mileage will very.

As for their fan. I wouldn't pay $20 for ANY fan.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Our first Dyson vacuum lasted 7 years, before it started acting up. We bought a different vacuum and used it for about 1 year before finally buying another Dyson this past Christmas. Dyson vacuum's are great, but are overpriced. Like someone else mentioned, ours was a refurb, so we were able to get it for considerably less than MSRP.

I think the fans are cool, but way overpriced, and the need for a room fan is much less than the need for a vacuum - in fact, with ceiling fans in every room, I don't have any need for a room fan.

PS. As was also pointed out, these fans are old news and have been out for a couple of years.

12. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    My Dyson vacuum works great. I've had it for going on 4 years without issue. Still sucks (in a good way)!

But the fan-----get real. BTW It's online for $333 if you search; but not even worth that IMO.

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Agreed.

My Dyson has been in use for 6 years now with no issues. Still sucks as good as it ever did. I also bought a Dyson for my mother, and hers has been sucky for 4 years now.

Both of us had pets and the Dyson was amazing.

I bought both of the Dysons from Costco, so if anything ever goes bad all I have to do is take it back.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. Our Dyson is going on about 8 or 9 years and is working great still. I remember when we bought it, I vacuumed first with our old vacuum and then with the Dyson. The canister was completely filled after just doing the living room and dining room.

- Merg

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Remember that's an old trick. If you'd gone back over with your old vacuum, I bet you'd have picked even more up.

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Maybe, but I vacuumed with my old small upright, then I used my regular bagged unit with a new bag. After that, I used my new Shark (about $149 at Wal Mart). I was totally amazed at what it picked up, almost a full canister from one rug. Emptied the canister and vacuumed again, and got very little. I can tell after using the Shark for 3 months now, from my sinus' and nose, that the Shark is working so much better than the other two. The lack to dust getting into my entertainment center was the second verification.

I dont know how much the dysan costs, but if it works as good as the Shark, its well worth it.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I had used a new bag with my old vacuum and there was barely anything in it. Considering that after I used the Dyson on just one room, the canister was full I was impressed.

- Merg

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I saw one of these and was not impressed. But I did take a picture of it.

The Dyson fan makes me think of Sharper Image or Brookstone. The price may exceed the value, but there is a cool factor.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It worked better than all the old style dryers I'd used before. Now we have competing products like the XLerator.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, I love the hand dryers. My hands are dried almost instantly.