1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you give up your H20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by aa9vi, Nov 21, 2008.

1. aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    Just curious... would you give up your H20 and upgrade if a new receiver featured an OTA channel scan?

That's the only thing keeping me from upgrading one of my receivers. I sometimes watch channels that are not yet available in the Zap2it/D* primary/secondary guide. The guide is often slow to updates (Milwaukee PBS and CBS are examples). Also, sometimes I watch the Colts on WSBT South Bend. I also watch my Chicago locals.

I'm curious how many others share that opinion because of the guide updating issues or that you just like the OTA scan for other reasons. I know what the other receivers offer in terms of speed/responsiveness, but this is a OTA scan question.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    We expect that DIRECTV will give the ability to use the AM21 off-air tuner with H21 and H23 receivers fairly soon. It's true it doesn't have channel scan, but it's worth pointing out in my opinion.

3. mrjim

mrjim AllStar

Dec 4, 2006
    Kenosha, WI
    I would do it in a heart beat, anyone that lives close to more than two dma's would be a fool not to. I also can get Milwaukee, Chicago, South Bend and sometimes in the summer Grand Rapids, MI. But D* will never put the money into anything that involves OTA tuners. case in put their new receivers do not even have OTA.

4. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    I may have to replace my H20 that I've had since September because it's been goofy, needing constant resetting, and this morning reported failure on Tuner 2. So they're coming out tomorrow for a service call. If they have to replace the receiver, I've asked for one with OTA capability because D* doesn't show all Des Moines locals in HD. However, I'm wondering whether the tuner problem is an inherent defect in the design of the H20 and whether I'd be just setting myself up for more problems down the road if the model is defective.

5. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Did you mean your HR20? H20 doesn't have a second tuner.

As for the original question. No, I have no plans to replace my H20. In fact, I just got a replacement, at DirecTV's initiative, because of some supposed general problem with the receivers in the same lot as my old H20. It was working fine but they wanted to replace it so I swapped. The old and new one works just fine for how and where I'm using it and I like the OTA capability.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Both my H20-100 & -600 have been retired.
    My H21-200 with AM-21 exceeds the performance of both.
    "Happy Camper". :)

7. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Got a H20-600 just sitting around too.
    But the two HR20-700s take care of tuning and recording OTA. :)

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I'd have no problem retiring my H20-600 (especially if D* wanted to trade it for a H21/H23). Unless I install a larger OTA antenna I can't pick up anymore stations then I do now, which is all of them in my DMA. Where I'm at I'm right on the edge of the signal contour map on the FCC site for the DMA north and south of me so it's not worth the effort.

9. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    Since you never know what DTV will send you, if you plan on upgrading and want the H21, you would be better off buying it at Best Buy. I messed up and let them ship me one I paid 99.00 for. I got the H20-600 and really was hoping for the H21

10. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    With all the posts about HR-20 mishaps recently, you have to wonder whether or not that's intentional .. . :confused:

11. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Gave up my H20 a long time ago. Got another DVR instead. :)

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yeah, they are habit forming aren't they?

13. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    I have two H20s (with OTA) and an HR21/AM21 combo (also with OTA). For such an urban market like Milwaukee, having OTA across-the-board is pretty darn nice. One gets the "locals" even during a rain-out, and that covers all the networks. Also, in Milwaukee, the local PBS stations have about nine sub-channels, such as NOAA Weather, jazz, classical music, etc. D* only covers the primary channels (10-1 and 36-1). Also, the local CBS affiliate won't make a deal with D* regarding the HD channel, so D* is still broadcating the analog station, at least until February.

All-in-all, having the local OTA stations is a great big plus, and since D* wants to be a presence in urban areas, it makes sense to have the likes of an AM21 add-on for their receivers. They need to implement the same feature for their often talked-about Home Media Center. To do it without OTA would be a big, big mistake.

Stan

14. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Got an H21-200 in order to play around with MRV so I deactivated the the H20-600 that was just sitting around. DirecTV sent a box and wanted it back last week. Kind of surprised me that they would do that, spend the money to have it shipped back. Wonder if they'll actually do anything with it.

15. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    Yes. If it featured OTA channel scan and I needed that feature due to living in 3-market OTA area.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    They'd run it through the refurb process and send it back out.

We have been getting sent H20-600s over the past few weeks. Wonder where they came from? :grin:

17. SledDog

SledDog Icon

May 5, 2007
    Nope.. I'll keep my H20-100 until it dies.. I have not had many problem with it (sound of me knocking on wood).

I don't use the OTA capabilities. I have my OTA antenna fed to my TV on another one of its inputs. This way if DirecTV is down for what ever reason, I still have access to my locals. DirecTV provides my locals in HD so there is no reason for me to use the OTA support built the receiver.

18. netconcepts

netconcepts Legend

Jan 20, 2007
    Same here, I called D* about upgrading to a HDVR, but they could not guarantee any delivery of an OTA capable machine. The Charlotte market still has 5 stations that are not delivered in HD yet and all of them are broadcasting HD content.

19. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I am actually considering a swap out of the H20 for an H21 or H2x follow ons. In the room I have the H20 I dont use OTA at all so looking for other features. Hoping since H20 is "retired" they will offer a nice upgrade deal.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Why do we expect this? DIRECTV hasn't updated their AM21 information on the website.
    Channel scan appears to be the whole point of this thread and it isn't supported on any receiver that currently works with the AM21.