Would you participate in an Amazing Race Contest?

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, May 16, 2004.

Would you participate in an Amazing Race Contest?

1. Yes, but only if it were free, even if that ment no prize

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, I'd play and pay a $1 entry

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  3. Yes, I'd play and pay a $5 entry

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Yes, I'd play and pay a $10 entry

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. No, I wouldn't be interested in playing at all.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Since Mark Holtz can't run the Amazing Race contest this summer, I am considering doing it myself.

What I have in mind is somewhat different from other previous contests, and it should be very competitive. Only about half of the contest would be potentially open to being spoiled. The other half would actually be a race, very simular to The Amazing Race itself.

The question is:

Would folks like to play without any prizes, or would you like to set it up as a pool, costing $1, $5, or $10 and the winner takes home most of the pot. (I was thinking the winner would take 75%, 2nd place 20%, 3rd 5%, and the last place would have their entry refunded). People could enter the contest at any time, but obviously those entering earliest would have the best chance of winning.

2. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Ok, I think I've finished hashing out most of the details. Perhaps knowing how the contest will be structured will boost interest as well:

Like the Amazing Race show, this contest will be a race as well. The person with the fastest time (least amount of time on their race clock) is the winner.

The first part of the contest will consist of 4 weekly questions. Each question is worth an amount of time (for example 1 day) that will be added to your personal race clock. Answer the question correctly, and you don't have that time added to your score. Get it wrong or avoid the question, and you do. Thus each week participants will have a certain number of whole days added to their times each week for this first segment of the contest. Since this is a race, you want a slower overall time.

The questions for this part will be simple ones relating to The Amazing Race show, and have the potential to be spoiled to a degree. They will consist of usual questions such as "Which team finishes this week's leg first?" and "Which team arrives last or is eliminated this week?"

The second part of the contest will be an internet scavenger hunt dealing with locations seen in the past weeks episode. For the 1st week of the contest, I'll ask three questions relating to the United States, since the race starts here. This will be a timed race event, with your ranking determined solely on how quickly you email me your answer. Questions will be posted at a set time each week, and often will be of the type whereby grabbing them first will not be of benefit. An example of this would be a question posted Sunday at midnight asking for the front page headline of the USA Today on Thursday. This is to even up the contest for those who might not be online at the same time. Not every question will be of this type, but many will.

Just as in The Amazing Race, this portion of the contest will offer several options or detours. One of these three questions will be very easy. The second however will be much harder and perhaps needing research. How you place however depends only on how many people answer the same question as you do.

The first person to respond correctly to each question sets the time to beat and adds no time to their own clock. The rest of the pack will be divided into quarters, and their average time for each quarter group being the time added to their race clocks each week. Thus you might decide to research the answer to the harder question and email the answer at the last possible moment, but if you are the only one to get it right you have no time added.

This segment will also consist of a 3rd question which will serve as a fast forward. You can use this only once during the competition. The first person to use it each week is the only one it counts for. Successfully using the fast forward allows you to add no time to your clock that week for any of the questions (even the standard ones).

You can only email one answer to these three questions, so choose which path you will take carefully. Answering more than one to try and get the best time will count as a wrong answer for all of them.

If you skip the questions or get them wrong, your time will be that of the slowest respondents that week for any question. People entering the contest in the middle will have their base time computed as if they had answered everything wrong prior to their entry.

Thus for the scavenger portion of the contest, times from 0 - 7 days will be added to everyone's clock each week.

Winner will be the person who has the least amount of time on their clock at the end of the final episode of The Amazing Race, and thus wins the competition.

During the contest, bonus polls will appear that will take off time as well.

---

If you have any suggestions that might enhance this format, please let me know.

3. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Sounds like fun! :) I like the way you're adding the spirit of the game to the "contest".

To make it more in the spirit of the game, you should make us all have to use public terminals at airports, so we spend a lot of time waiting around them. Or, every other week, reset all our points so we're all clumped up and have to start essentially from scratch :p

Oh, and be careful if you decide to make people pay to play in a chance to win money. I believe pools are technically illegal in many states, so you'd want to check into that before making it official.

4. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    Sounds like fun! Now all we need is a way to vote the leaders out of the next Survivor contest.

5. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Oh, and be careful if you decide to make people pay to play in a chance to win money.

Well, from the poll above, thus far most people seem to be against that idea, so I think a free play option will exist no matter what form the contest takes.

Not certain what the legality is, but then again the police would have to raid every office in america each year during the college NCAA tournaments. ;)

I'd really like to offer a prize for the winners however, so I'm still considering options.

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I went with DVDs because they're cheap to ship out AND can be tracked. The winner got a USPS tracking number.

Do you have a Sam's Club or Costco nearby?

7. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    I'd be interested in possibly offering up a DVD if it will help keep the contest interesting. The only issue is I'd like to play as well. I want to win one of these contests :)

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Well, I'm offering up $50 gift certificate for my policital contest, and my funds are always extrememly tight over summer, so I can't put up a prize myself.

Thanks buzzdalf for your offer. Any little bit helps.

The only issue is I'd like to play as well.

I see no problem with this, as you wouldn't be scoring or in a position to make judgement calls. Of course it takes some of the fun out of winning if you have to ship the DVD to yourself. ;)

9. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    "In addition, The Amazing Race, which was originally expected to air this summer, will return on Saturday at 9 p.m."
    See: http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000513479

Will Amazing Race air both this summer and again on Saturdays this fall?
    Or, did the summer season get bumped?

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
  11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Okay, according to Zap2It, the Amazing Race 6 will air on Saturdays this fall.

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
  13. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I was a little confused by the announcement as well but it does look like Tuesdays this summer to me as well and Sat in the fall.

Danny, I keep telling my wife we should sign up and saw the applications for TAR 6 a few months back but she told me that it would not be a good idea if we wanted to stay married. ;)

14. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
  15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Obviously they are trying to make the air date something of a mystery. This is to promote the new CBS drama: CSI: The Amazing Race, a new crime show where investigators race around the world solving murders.

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Saturday night is now throwaway night for the networks.

UPN: Local programming
    WB: Local programming
    ABC: The Wonderful World Of Disney
    NBC: Saturday Night movie
    Fox: COPS, America's Most Wanted
    CBS: 48 Hours, The Amazing Race, "Crime Time Saturday"

In other words, cheapo programming for a Saturday night.

On the other hand, I now have a reason to look forward to Saturday nights since first-run Star Trek: The Next Generation and Doctor Who stopped airing in my area.

17. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Are you missing a "no" inbetween have and reason in that sentence? Or you really have something against ST:TNG and Doctor Who.

18. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    I think he's saying "They stopped showing TNG and the Doctor in my area on Sat. nights, so I had nothing to look forward to. But now I have reason to because AR will be airing then." No "no" needed.

19. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, I saw a couple of commercials for TAR over the weekend that said it was starting Tuesday July 6th. They also had a little after Big Brother 5 tag at the end.

Now if CBS could only figure out how to write a press release.

20. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The CBS website is supposed to reveal the contestants this friday. I imagine we'll hear one way or another by then.