1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW - Sunshine on Cinemax HD!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by gator5000e, Aug 26, 2008.

1. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    I was flipping around and saw this was on. This is one of my favorite SciFi movies. It was well done and the special effects are fantastic especially given the $40 mill budget. Chris Evans stole the movie and showed his chops. Even if you felt the "twist" (won't give it away) was too much, watch it again a few times. It really grows on you. Anyway hope this movie being shown on Max exposes it to more of the public. Fox screwed Dany Boyle over on the marketing of this flick (no marketing at all). Anyway, just happy to see this making the premium movie rotation.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm unfamiliar with the following:

Sunshine
    Chris Evans
    Dany Boyle

And since I don't get Cinemax, I guess I'll remain so.

3. aleicgrant

aleicgrant Legend

Sep 25, 2007
    I caught the end of this the other day and for the life of me couldnt even remember this coming out in the movies. I really liked it but felt if I saw the whole thing it would have been even better. Felt a little like a lot of "Save the earth sci fi" movies mashed together but at least it was predictable. Hope to catch it again to record.

4. N5XZS

N5XZS Legend

Apr 25, 2002
    Since I do get Cinemax,

When this fine movie come on again?

Thanks!!:D

8-26-08

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've watched this movie a couple of times, definitely a good movie.

Spartanstew, Chris Evans plays Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four flops, err I mean movies.

And Cillian Murphy from 28 Days Later, Batman Begins and Dark Knight is also in this movie.

6. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    Obviously, Sunshine is a SciFi movie that never got any marketing. It was directed by an English chap named Danny Boyle who directed 28 Days Later, Millions and Trainspotting to name a few. He does smaller movies, although 28 Days Later was probably his biggest hit.

Chris Evans played Johnny Storm in Fantastic Four. He had a serious role in Sunshine and I thought he did really well.

Fox (Searchlight) never promoted the movie at all and thus not many people knew about it. I think it made $3-5 million in the US. I knew about the movie and had to really hunt to find it playing in a crappy theater in the Orlando area.

Boyle made the movie on a budget of about $40 million and the effects look as good as any SciFi movie I have seen recently. The movie looks especially good in HD, especially the shots of the Sun as they hurtle towards it.

I would also like to say the Soundtrack kicks some serious butt. John Murphy, who also did the score for 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, wrote a great score with some group called Underworld (who, I understand, is preventing the soundtrack from being released as a CD to the general public). The scores from Sunshine and 28 Weeks Later are two of my favorite scores.

Anyway, it's a good flick, IMHO. I was just hyped to see it on Max cause it got so little publicity and I had no idea it was coming.

7. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
  8. gator5000e

gator5000e Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    Altamonte...
    Definitely need to see it from the beginning. It does a great job building the characters before the "Action" cranks up in the second half, last third of the movie.

9. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    This is a great movie and must be seen in HD.

And as for Danny Boyle, I haven't seen a movie of his that I haven't liked. He's a genius!

10. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    You should see this movie in Blu-Ray ... WOW
    Special effects are like you are really there (and maybe better).