Wow! Telemarketers break the law again.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Curtis0620, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
  2. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Those were years ago. DISH is today. You would have thought they would have learned from Directv's mistake.

3. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    Obviously the original poster doesn't understand the difference between companies that sell Dish Network systems and the Dish Network/Echostar companies. Perhaps the poster has incurred some health issues from reading too many post regarding the TIVO/Dish patent infringement suit!

4. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    These are companies employed by Dishnetwork.

5. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    I would guess so, they don't easily understand what they read.. I see NO WHERE that Dish was charged with anything. I DirecTV's case, THEY were charged and fined. But that's OK, it was 3 years ago that happends so it's no big deal. But then E* did the infringment 5 years ago so that should be OK too! ;)

6. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    So that automatically implies that they are part of Dish as the title of your post implies as opposed to independent retailers that sell Dish Network systems.

7. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Please show me in the article where it says they are "employed" by Dish.

8. stanggt03

stanggt03 Mentor

Jun 13, 2006
    They are 2 telemarketing companies who sell Dish. They are not employed by Dish. That's like saying Sony got fined because Best Buy was deceptively selling their products.

Interesting news, nonetheless, but it has no bearing on Echostar's policies on telemarketing. Retailers cannot be monitored. There's plenty of shady stuff done by vendors and retailers. Not a whole lot you can do about it. That's why I always go directly to the company when I can.

9. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Whatever you say it won't make a differeence to the OP as the OP has an axe to grind with E*.

I'm not feeling PC today, that's for sure.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Proof?

Are these not just agents who went overboard in their promotion?
    A lot of people sell DISH Network as agents, not employees.
    DISH tries to crack down on marketers, but can't control everyone.
    These guys just happened to be selling DISH ... they could have been selling condos - it is just the product they chose.

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Gee. Did I miss something? The title of the thread says: Wow! Telemarketers break the law again. Then the post says:
    It's not news to me that "they", telemarketers, frequently break the law. But why all the hostility in this thread? The article is clear enough nor is it biased against Dish Network. It says:
    I guess one could infer from this that one should be wary of satellite TV telemarketers. But then most of us here know that.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The original title said "Dish" instead of "Telemarketers". As it wasn't DISH breaking the law the title was changed.

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ah/;)

14. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Moved it over to OT. Hopefully this is the right home for the thread.

15. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Glad to see the mods on the Dish side are having fun too :lol:

16. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Trying to make the claim that Dish was charged with telemarketing violations, to me, puts a real credibility question to anything else the original poster would claim about Dish in other posts. The charges in this story, in no way, implicated Dish in the actions of those violating the law. I also find it interesting that the same poster can brush off the fines that Directv had to pay directly. Those fines amount to nearly 1/3 of the GRAND TOTAL levied on violators of the Do Not Call list since inception.

17. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    About two months ago, I was doing work for a local guy on his out-of-town rental property (i'm an elec. contractor). There was no cell phone service in the area, so we were instructed to answer the landline phone at the house in case it was the owner trying to reach us. It rang one morning about 9AM and it was an automated service selling dish, and said to press '1' to be connected to the operator. I hung the phone up; half an hour later I picked it up and that call was still on the line. I picked it up another half hour later and it was STILL on the line. I pressed '1' to get an operator on and ask them to hang up. When the guy answered and I told him to disconnect, he cursed at me and hung up. There wasn't any caller ID so I couldn't tell where it came from, but that was absurd to have a system that doesn't disconnect the line until you speak with them.

18. VHS or Beta

VHS or Beta AllStar

Feb 22, 2008
    It's a matter of credibility for both satellite providers when this kind of thing makes headlines. Dish and DirecTV should both have specific terms prohibiting their agents from telemarketing. It's a terrible practice that has generated nothing but bad publicity for either of them.

Regardless of whether the OP had some kind of axe to grind with Echostar or not, the reality is that the average person is going to connect this kind of telemarketing story with the parent company, and that's a big image problem for the provider.

19. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    It is doubtful that either would ever prohibit their agents from telemarketing, it doesn't make business sense. Telemarketers are used by 1000s of companies either directly (such as DirecTV) or by independent agents (such as Dish). I would guess that all such companies have guidelines set for any marketing (in house or agents) no matter if it's telemarketing, print, internet, radio, etc. How many times have we seen or heard of Internet sites selling Dish that have false claims on those sites? I would suppose the DirecTV has the same problem.