1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WPIX Mets Feed is on in HD!!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Msguy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1 of 21
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Mets @ Phillies Channel 744-1 is on Right now. This is the first time EVER we've seen a Mets WPIX Game on Extra Innings. It's good to see more Over The Air (OTA) Games getting onto the Extra Innings Package. Now if we could see WCIU Cubs and White Sox games and KSDK Cardinals Games in MLB Extra Innings, I'd be even happier.

2. Jul 5, 2009 #2 of 21
    rob316

rob316 Legend

Jun 29, 2008
    Hurray for you now you can watch the Mets lose in HD:lol:

3. Jul 5, 2009 #3 of 21
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    I never said anything about me being a Mets Fan. I'm just glad MLB Extra Innings is getting more Over The Air Games :D

4. Jul 5, 2009 #4 of 21
    rkunces

rkunces Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Today's Phils/Mets game was maybe the first to have two ota feeds being shown for one game on EI. Glad to see the package is moving along, as slow as it has been to get these feeds.

5. Jul 5, 2009 #5 of 21
    greatone

greatone Cool Member

Jul 6, 2008
    now all we need is cardinals ksdk cubs and whitesox wciu dodgers kcal angels kcop and giants kntv

6. Jul 5, 2009 #6 of 21
    Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    The Berlin Wall fell didn't it ? <lol>

7. Jul 5, 2009 #7 of 21
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well since D* already gets most of these feeds for their HD LiL feeds, I don't see why they can't use them in the different sports packages.

8. Jul 5, 2009 #8 of 21
    up north trip

up north trip Cool Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Contractual agreements (I'm guessing?)

9. Jul 6, 2009 #9 of 21
    dvrblogger

dvrblogger Icon

Jan 11, 2005
    you all need to petition DIRECTV. They have all the rights to all the games but consider the size of the market and the number of out of market fans when deciding which games to carries. Cubs and White Sox should be high on the list due to size of the market. DIRECTV now carry Phillies,Mets and Yankees and possibly others BIG market teams for fans in other cities. We have a Mets Fans in LA group that were instrumental in convincing DIRECTV to carry WPIX games. It didn't hurt that DISH and Cable already carried WPIX in SD as superstation and hence the games.

10. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Teams Over The Air Feeds that we NEVER see are Cubs, White Sox WCIU, Cardinals KSDK Sunday Afternoon broadcasts, Giants NBC 11 Friday Night Games, Angels KCOP Games, & Dodgers KCAL 9 Games. These Teams are Huge Markets and should be included in the MLB Extra Innings Package.

11. dvrblogger

dvrblogger Icon

Jan 11, 2005
    it is the size of the teams market outside it's broadcast area. LA fans get angels and dodgers in market on kcal and kcop. also people need to write to directv to make a difference.

12. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    GO METS !!.....:D

13. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Your source for your info?

My guess is that MLB owns the rights and dictates where and how each game is shown. They decide on the blackouts and what teams cover how much territory in their market. Why would D* be allowed to do whatever they want with a local signal they pick up from a particular market?

I have the MLB app for my iPhone for example, and they (MLB) decide which two games to show on it each day (with blackout areas applying). I would not expect Apple or AT&T to be able to show me a different game if I petitioned them. If that was what I wanted, I would go to MLB. :hurah:

14. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Actually with the new EI contract the rights should be spread between MLB, cable and D* so my guess is that is why D* would be allowed to do what they have done with the games on PIX.

15. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I know we are all guessing here, so my guess is that the PIX feed was on EI because MLB allowed (or even told) D* to put it there, and not there because D* just decided to do it all of a sudden, or as a business decision for their subscribers.

D* would do that for most, if not all of the OTA games if they were allowed, and advertise the crap out of it to sell more EI subscriptions. :lol:

16. rkunces

rkunces Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    I think D* controls the package because judging by how MLB Network is run, they have HD broadcasts available for every game because they have direct uplink feeds from the stadiums. We obviously don't get every game in HD from EI not to mention OTA feeds. If MLB did run the EI package, wouldn't you think we would atleast have those OTA feeds that are available to show highlights on MLBNetwork and are available to view live on MLB.TV? Directv just doesn't want to spend the $$$ for the OTA rights or doesn't want to use the bandwith.

Years ago when EI first came out all of the feeds were available. Ever since 2000 or so the package has consistently been playing catch up to increase the amount of feeds and games available. It's a shame because their internet package has every feed and every game, including no tv games. Really shows where MLB has its stock in right now and it's even worse in the fact that TV is taking a back seat to its internet coverage despite the fact that they have their own Television Network.

17. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I will say that I do not know - perhaps someone can post a link to the facts. My guess is, however, that MLB is the controlling authority.

Maybe D* is doing less than they are allowed by MLB, but I'd like to see proof of that before I say I know that.

18. dvrblogger

dvrblogger Icon

Jan 11, 2005
    D* has rights to all games except for games blacked out due to FOX,ESPN or MLB TV exclusivity. If the games are on local stations not RSN it costs money and effort to put it on a national bird and D* does this for teams with a lot of out of town fans. Mets fan club in Los ANgeles was instrumental in convincing d* to put on WPIX games as DISH and cable had some in SD as well.

19. dvrblogger

dvrblogger Icon

Jan 11, 2005
    My source is the president of mets fans in LA. Their president is a friend of mine. Go have a look at their web site for more details. www.meetup.com/MetsFansInLA

20. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I always though that MLB had some sort of an iron fist over all of that.

:eek2: