Wrong guide on OTA Channels

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Jun 10, 2019.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Strange thing happened the other day. After the guide updated I suddenly have a wrong OTA guide for both KATU-ABC and KOIN-CBS Portland. I am now getting some PBS guide on both. Strange. I have tried to re-boot the receiver, but I still get the same guide. Anyway to fix this?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Could you re-check it on other STB ? at your neighbor or relatives ?

3. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Have any of these stations been "repacked"? By that I mean are they sharing a transmitter with another station. Here in Cleveland WUAB is now piggy-backed onto WOIO. The OTA version of the guide shows the CBS WOIO's schedule instead of the CW/MyNet schedule of WUAB. Also the subchannel of WUAB has the guide data of WOIO's subchannel.

Until E*engineers take the time to address this situation this is what you get. BTW: THe guide data is correct for the satellite-delivered versions of the repacked stations.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    They may have changed channels though. I think both KATU and KOIN were moving to a lower channels. That could be it. Both have the same lineup of channels though. They are not being repacked with any other channels though. The interesting thing is in both cases KATU and KOIN, both have the correct schedules on their sub channels.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I don't know of anyone around here that uses the OTA option on a 211k or a Hopper. People do have OTA antennas, but not used in connection with a Dish receiver. The OTA guide from the translators are all fine.

6. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I have a VIP 222K and noticed the same issue with the OTA channels. The receiver is located at both NY and FL at different times of the year. As a result, OTA stations from both locations loaded into the receiver. I set up different guides with the applicable OTA stations to use depending on where we are located.

I noticed this past Sunday that I was getting guide info for FL stations in place of the NY stations where we are now. It is not too much of a big deal since most of the programming is the same for each area. Just annoying when the stations are running different programming.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    What you may want to do on your 222K is to tell it to "forget" the ones from the other area, and rescan for the new ones.

Michael P likes this.
  8. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I will try that..... I did not have any issues with that in before a couple weeks ago, so something changed.... Again, not very much of an issue, just something is not quite right.

9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I did a re-scan this morning on the 211k and still KATU-2 and KOIN-6 OTA guides are not correct. Again, they show a PBS schedule, that does not match KOPB 10. So I have no idea why it is messed up. Hopefully the Dish engineers will fix it in time.
    Also on another note, since Dish has Comet, I wonder why Comet (2.3) OTA still has no guide?

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Each channel can be matched to one OTA channel in the entire nation. While (theoretically) your 2.3 feed could be matched to Comet, that would not help all of the other subchannel feeds of Comet nationwide. It would also cause a problem if your 2.3 Comet deviated from the national channel feed.

With channel repacking I'd expect more problems with OTA EPG.

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    KATU/KOIN just moved channel numbers. They did not add or subtract any sub channels. By the way, I just checked and Comet 289 must be an Eastern feed as 2.3 is different. I see your point. Thanks.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I do have an additional question, regarding the OTA EPG. Why can't Dish just use the station's EPG? They are all available here OTA.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    How many hours of EPG do you get OTA? In my experience, OTA EPG is sketchy and does not cover much time into the future. In addition, the EPG for each station is only carried on that station's broadcast signal. Which means your receiver would need to scan each OTA station frequently to build a local version of the guide. A better solution would be to download the nine day guide via the Internet. I'm not sure why DISH has not done this (for customers with Internet connections). DISH carries guide information for over 1000 OTA subchannels nationwide

14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Depending on what tuner I use. One I get several hours, to a couple days. According to the Portland TV stations, their OTA guide goes out a week to 10 days. But I do not have a OTA tuner that will capture that much material. My Toshiba TV set only shows the current program and the next one. One other tuner I have has a bigger guide.

15. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I wonder how Dish decides what OTA channels to offer a guide? I get:

2.1 KATU ABC Guide (right now the wrong guide)
    2.2 METV Guide
    2.3 COMET No Guide
    2.4 STADIUM No Guide
    6.1 KOIN CBS Guide (right now the wrong guide)
    6.2 GET TV Guide
    6.3 DECADES Guide
    8.1 KGW NBC Guide
    8.2 JUSTICE Guide
    8.3 QWEST No Guide
    10.1 KOPB PBS Guide
    10.2 KOPB+ PBS Guide
    10.3 KIDS PBS Guide
    10.4 KOPB Radio No Guide
    12.1 KPTV FOX No Guide
    49.1 KPDX MYTV No Guide

All have OTA guides though.